The strongest quake I've experienced in the Bay Area (I wasn't living here for Loma Prieta) was a 4.0 which was like a train roaring through my living room. It knocked stuff off shelves at the store at the top of the hill. I had also experienced a 5.0 but the difference was the 5.0 was up in the hills near Clear Lake (50 miles away) and the 4.0 was centered a mile from my house on a fault they didn't know existed.

On 04/02/2014 11:59 AM, TurquoiseBee wrote:
*From:* salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
*To:* FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:38 PM
*Subject:* Re: [FairfieldLife] Were you there Sal?

I was thinking that earlier in the week with all the quakes and mudslides going on.

My sister lives near Frisco, she hates earthquakes, I point out that it's a stupid place to live in that case, she says she likes the vineyards and beaches too much to move..

They might not feel that way if they had ever been in a really big earthquake. That experience really erodes one's belief in the concept of "terra firma."

Back in 1960, I was living in Morocco, because my father was stationed there. A friend who had his pilot's license talked me into joining him as we rented a Piper Cub and flew off from Ben Guerir AFB (the base where we lived, near Marrakech) to Agadir. We landed on a small strip next to the beach there, and were drinking beer on the beach when the quake hit.

I think it's still rated in the Top 30 or 40 "killer earthquakes" of all time. I remember the experience vividly. Although it was technically a moderate quake (only 5.7 on the Richter scale), it was shallow and located right under the city. The ground started shaking so badly that we couldn't stand, and were being thrown around like puppets on a string. At one point I vividly remember seeing a wave (earthquakes are, after all, nothing more than waves moving through the earth) coming down the beachside road at us. The asphalt of the road was literally rising about 3-4 feet in the air, and then traveling at great speed towards us. When each wave got to us, they would toss us up into the air like we were rag dolls.

My most vivid memory is watching a 12-story hotel next to us fall down. Its four walls fell outwards, and the floors just stacked up like cards.

When the shaking stopped, we ran for the plane and took off and flew home, because even though we were young we'd been around the science block enough to know that there might be a tsunami, and we didn't want to be on the beach if one arrived (it didn't). Nonetheless, the city was basically destroyed. Some photos of what it looked like (we went back to check it out a few weeks later) can be found here:

agadir earthquake 1960 - Google Search <https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&biw=1032&bih=560&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=agadir+earthquake+1960&oq=agadir+earthquake+1960&gs_l=img.3..0i24.546506.550910.0.551519.6.4.0.2.2.0.116.272.3j1.4.0....0...1c.1.39.img..0.6.284.3K5Ai8n0d3I>

Okay then, is the "Ring of Fire" becoming active? There was an 8.2 quake off Chile and Yellowstone is beginning to have swarms (all bets are off if that turns into a volcano). Better be practicing asanas so you can kiss your ass good-bye.

    On 04/02/2014 10:04 AM, Pundit Sir wrote:

> I guess you don't have a video camera or we'd have seen videos from you.

Addressing the important issues!