 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Research Shows Group Meditation Can Reduce Crime
Rates
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Thursday, April 3, 2014, 1:08 PM

       Salyavin, I posted a link to the study. Have a
 look at it, please, in particular the explanation of the
 methodology. It's a lot more complicated than you think
 to determine whether the rate actually went down during the
 study period. The issue is whether, in the absence of the
 meditating group, the violent crime rate would have been
 what the researchers projected it to be statistically, or
 what it actually was with the meditating
 group.
 Then read
 the rebuttal to the Skeptical Inquirer article
 and tell me the author came at the research "from a position
 of wanting it to be true and looking for
 confirmation."
 And please note,
 Lawson is the one saying the results of this study were
 "ambiguous." Shame on the TM critics who
 repeatedly try to portray him as a "cult
 apologist." He is far more objective than you
 are.

 Ambiguous
 is as good as false. When you look at the actual US
 government data for the year, broken down week by week, you
 can't see any drops in crime levels, sure there are dips
 all over the place but the one in August is no bigger than
 the one in March so if you are claiming that coherence
 causes crime rates to drop then who was meditating in
 March.
 And the
 crime rate dropped significantly more the next year due to
 changes in policing and gentrification. It's all on the
 government website.
 The thing
 about sceptics is we almost always originally come at
 paranormal research from a position of wanting it to be true
 and looking for confirmation. That's true for me and
 Susan Blackmore and any amount of people from CISCOP.
 It's only the constant failure of of world to confirm
 whether it has provided us with any paranormal abilities to
 measure that gives rise to what you may think is a narrow
 minded sceptic.
 I still
 hope for the best though, but the TMO could make it easier
 by making the crime rate fall beyond the level by which they
 naturally fluctuate. An easily noted 80% drop for instance,
 that'd be more convincing. I convert for
 evidence.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...>
 wrote :

 Teh
 statistic was skewed. For one week, the homicide rate was
 double the average. THAT was what was picked up by the press
 and extrapolated for the entire 8 week period.
 True Believers want the research to be true
 Skeptics are often as desperate to be sure that it is false.
 The reality is that the study was ambiguous,
 IMHO.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <mdixon.6569@...>
 wrote :

 Judy, I don't
 remember the details but that it was a national concern at
 the time on all the national news programs. It sure seems
 that there were more than just ten homicides. Might have
 been ten homicides
 and ten or twenty non lethal
 shootings in addition.  On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:10 PM,