For different reasons than you, I'm sure though.  Ha.  Time for bed over here.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emilymaenot@...> wrote :

 I *loved* that sentence also.

 This bit made me laugh:

  "In my experience, those who make the most theatrical display of demanding
“proof” of God are also those least willing to undertake the specific kinds of
mental and spiritual discipline that all the great religious traditions say are
required to find God."

 The experience she had is quite interesting though, and proof that we have an
inner world that can go a bit screwy occasionally. But where does the feeling
of wisdom that we designate god come from? We know that consciousness is a
group experience of many parts of the brain pitching in, perhaps there's a bit
confirms to us when we are on the right track about something and reward us
with some chemical that feels profoundly wise (mescalin?) when other bits that
help self-regulation step offline for a minute we can be overwhelmed by unified
wisdom. An unbalancing of what we think of as "ordinary" experience.

 Let's not forget these experiences are part of the continuum reported by
schizophrenics, who are understood to have a fracturing of their normal
day-to-day reality. My best guess is that our inner picture takes so much
energy and complicated processing to keep going that it's bound to get in a
muddle every now and again. Mostly it will be bad (mental illness) but
sometimes good (mystical experience).

 I'm sure everyone gets things like this, especially when they are younger and
in the grip of hormonal changes, I certainly did. My first mystical experience
was while walking through a meadow aged 10 (ish) . Suddenly the world revealed
a hidden depth, a silent vastness behind reality that was also part of it. Very
profound vision and stayed with me also.

 A fascinating exchange of views...

 Opinion piece in the NYTimes by Barbara Ehrenreich, rationalist author and
political activist (and atheist), about the change in her perspective on life
wrought gradually over many years by a mystical experience she had as an
adolescent (note: at age 73, she's still an atheist):

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/opinion/sunday/a-rationalists-mystical-moment.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/opinion/sunday/a-rationalists-mystical-moment.html

 Response by NYTimes columnist Ross Douthat (not an atheist) pointing out that
her call for science to investigate mystical experiences in depth is premature
because science doesn't yet understand ordinary experience well enough:

 http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/how-to-study-the-numinous/
http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/how-to-study-the-numinous/