 From: "dhamiltony...@yahoo.com" <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2014 5:48 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Vedic Cities.. . ..Live the Golden Age!

This will lead us to question the role of textual authority in
contemporary Hinduism and its uses as a way of forging new
religious
identities. If modern science as epistemological authority was
amply used by
Hindu reformers during colonial times to prove the universal value
of
Hinduism, how are the “Vedic” and the “scientific”
articulated in contemporary
discourses and practices?

Participants will also be asked to investigate
whether the attribution “Vedic” is always used in a “Hindu”
context or whether it can be a purely commercial term used to sell
the “exotic” and the “ancient”
within India— as in the case of the Vedic City under
construction by the Shri
Infratech group in Greater Noida.

Similarly, the conference will deal with the economy that is
generated as these

ideas spread. Besides the ideological dimension, commercial
concerns seem
to be at the heart of these new phenomena.

“The attribution “Vedic” has
important commercial implications that should be attentively
examined. The
Vedas are nowadays sold as a commercial item, in the form of
printed texts,
recorded mantras (CD, DVD), or as a packaged tourist destination
(Vedic
schools, Vedic meditations centres). “Vedic” forms of
knowledge are also
extensively commercialized: countless services (consultations,
courses,
stages) and products (Vedic horoscopes, Vedic remedies, Vedic
ritual items,
etc.) are sold through the web. Participants will then be asked to
explore the
social networks, the marketing strategies and the material
supports used in
this “Vedic economy”.

A Lifestyle inspired by the Golden age of the Indian Civilization.
Chandragupta Maurya ! Ashoka ! Reminiscent of the Golden Age is now a
realty. Vedic City will be an Epic beginning to a new life.

An Epic beginning to a new life, today we invite you to become a
part of that mystical grandeur in a Vedic City near you.
.
.