 Subject: [FairfieldLife] Why does TM seem to focus on losers?
 To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 Date: Friday, April 18, 2014, 8:32 AM

       One of the things I've noticed over the years is
 how many long-term TMers say things like, "I'd be
 dead if it weren't for TM," or "TM saved my
 life," or "TM cured me of my
 depression/anxiety/suicidal thoughts/mental
 illness/whatever."

 I've always found these claims difficult to
 relate to, because I didn't have anything to
 "cure" or "get over" when I first
 started TM. I had already left drugs behind me, having
 discovered them back when LSD was still legal and came in a
 bottle with Sandoz on the label. I did my time with them,
 enjoyed them *not* because they were an "escape from my
 problems" but because they enhanced an
  already-enjoyable life. But then I got tired of them, and
 even more tired of the scene surrounding them, and left them
 behind. I'm probably one of the only people here who
 didn't have to wait 15 days before starting TM.
 :-)  I was also neither depressed nor suicidal. In
 fact, I was a pretty happy frood, and merely one who was
 looking for ways to become even happier.

 And for a time, TM presented what I was looking for,
 something to enhance a good life and help me to appreciate
 it even more. But then it became as boring and as stagnant
 as drugs had been, and with an even more stifling social
 scene, so I moved on again to other forms of meditation that
 worked better.

 But there seem to be any
 number of long-term TMers who don't look back on their
 TM experience this way. They seem to focus on what it
 enabled them to "get over" or "cure" or
 "get beyond," almost as if
  (almost) before TM they had been "broken" and TM
 had "fixed" them.

 This gets me
 to thinking about tent revival meetings in the South (which,
 of course, you can't help but attend a few of if you
 grow up in the South), in which the most fervent
 "believers" and most fundamentalist Bible-thumpers
 were ALL those who formerly were drunks or whores or thieves
 or something BAD. It's as if they don't feel they
 can adequately shout "I've been SAVED!" unless
 they feel they had a lot to be saved FROM.

 And *this* gets me
 to thinking about whether Maharishi always pitched TM to
 losers and people with problems and low self esteem because
 they become the best disciples. And *disciples* is what he
 was looking for.

 Think about it.
 Does the TMO really spend any energy trying to market TM to
 "regular
  people," who have few problems in life and are just
 looking to enjoy it more? They do not. They focus on People
 With Problems.

 Kids doing badly in
 school. Criminals locked away in prisons. Veterans with
 PTSD.

 Can't this be seen as a
 continuation of a long-standing trend to look for
 prospective new students among populations who are more
 likely to be easy to convert into True Believers and thus
 become disciples?

 It's just an idea.
 YMMV.