 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: What are the *benefits* of believing in God?
 To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com";
<FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 Date: Sunday, April 20, 2014, 12:08 PM

 Just to follow up, Salyavin, what would you feel
 constituted "sure-fire proof" of something like
 reincarnation, or siddhis being performed?

 I can speak to the latter somewhat, taking for example the
 siddhi of levitation. Video wouldn't do it, because
 14-year-olds can hack video these days to make it look like
 whatever they want it to look like. "Demos" in
 front of large groups of people wouldn't cut it, because
 then the "it must have been mass hallucination"
 folks would come out with that doubt-dick swinging.

 One of the things I learned first from spending
 time with the Rama guy was that "proof" is
 overrated, as is the belief that it would mean anything to
 most people. I've sat in lecture halls with a guest who
 jumped in her seat and exclaimed loudly, "Oh my God,
 he's floating!" when Rama did his thing, but who
 the next day claimed she'd seen nothing. In her case, it
 was because she was a TB TMer, and it so severely challenged
 her world view to have seen something that supposedly
 isn't possible outside the TM movement in a room in the
 L.A. Convention Center. So she just chose to forget ever
 having seen it. I've seen other people do the same thing
 without the TM indoctrination; they just couldn't get
 past having seen what they considered to be the laws of
 nature being violated in front of their eyes, so they just
 metaphorically closed their eyes and pretended later not to
 have seen it. After having admitted at the time that they
 *had* seen it, that is...given a night or two to think about
 what "having seen it" would do to their world,
 they chose "not to have seen
 it."
 I think this would happen with pretty much any
 "sure-fire proof" you could think up. Those
 who wish to believe would believe, and those who wish not
 to believe would not. I mean, there are people on this
 planet who still believe firmly that humans have never set
 foot on the moon, and what could have *been* more
 "real-time documented" than that
 event?
 The funny thing from my point of view is that I
 suspect that viewing video of siddhis being performed
 wouldn't do diddleysquat for the people viewing
 it, *even if they believed it to be true*. The reason I
 feel this way is that there is an *energy* that accompanies
 the performance of siddhis, and I seriously doubt that this
 energy could be captured on video.

 The siddhi itself -- Big Whoop. Seen one,
 you've seen 'em all. But the *energy*?! THAT was
 transformative. Below I mentioned being "blown out of
 the water" in terms of having your current beliefs
 so challenged as to evaporate and go poof! Watching someone
 violate the supposed laws of gravity -- *in conjunction with
 that energy*, whatever it was -- was that kinda
 belief-challenging "new start" stuff, in spades.

 Unless you blot it out of your mind and pretend
 that you didn't see it (like the people I mentioned
 above), you're pretty much stuck with some serious
 Cognitive Dissonance for the rest of
 your life. The *easy path* is to pretend you didn't see
 it. The hard path is to accept that you really DID see it,
 even if you have no idea what "it" was.

 I saw what I saw, and experienced what I felt.
 I can't "go back" from that, and pretend that
 I didn't.

 I don't claim to "know" what those
 experiences were, but they were mine, and I own them. I
 don't try to sell them to others, but I own them.
 I'll spend the rest of my life trying to figure out what
 some of them were. But I can't feel badly about *any* of
 them, because they were a real E-ticket ride and they were
 transformative, and they gave me more "new starts"
 than I can count.

 From:
 TurquoiseBee <turquoiseb@... mailto:turquoiseb@...>
 [FairfieldLife] Re: What are the *benefits* of believing in
 God?