Stanford research paper? Do you mean the recent AHRQ meta-analysis of the
effects of meditation on anxiety?

 I responded in the comment section to the Scientific American blog entry about
it:

 http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-meditation-overrated/
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-meditation-overrated/

 David Orme-Johnson wrote his own response in a Letter to the Editor in the
journal where the meta-analysis itself was published. He was a consultant for
the team that wrote the paper, but was obviously not pleased with the outcome.

 Another point about the metanalysis that I didn't go into in my comment, but
David may: it only looked at clinical populations that were anxious and avoided
looking at juvenile or non-clinical populations, which is the population that
most of the TM research on anxiety has been drawn from.

 While I agree that TM studies need to have better control groups ("active
control group" mentioned in the Scientific American blog is just the tip of the
iceberg), there's an issue that you are not aware of:

 Out of the 16,000+ studies on meditation and anxiety examined in the
meta-analysis, only 47 were deemed worth of of inclusion, or about 3 percent.
There's only 350 studies on TM available, and 8 out of that 350 qualified, or
about 17%. By the numbers, TM studies were nearly 6 times as likely to qualify
as other meditation practices, putting the lie to the claim that TM studies are
low quality when compared to studies on other forms of meditation.

 The flipside is that there ARE about 50 times as many non-TM studies to look
at as TM studies, so there's an issue of sheer numbers. In any arbitrary
meta-analysis, unless it is in an area where TM researchers have focused their
attention consistently (such as heart disease where the AHA gives TM the nod),
the fact that there are 50 times as many studies on other forms of meditation
means that TM is likely going to lose due to not having enough studies to
qualify for evaluation.

 I've pointed this out to John Hagelin and Michael Dillbeck, as well as the
active group of TM researchers around the world: there will likely be more
studies on mindfulness practice published in 2014 than have been published in
the entire history of publishing research on TM. It's a huge issue, IMHO, and
will require a multi-year (probably at least a decade of work) to address.

 This little graphic illustrates the issue: the number of studies published on
mindfulness has been growing exponentially for the past 7 years, while the
number of studies published on TM has remained flat:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203006996966605&set=pb.1555020826.-2207520000.1399207555.&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203006996966605&set=pb.1555020826.-2207520000.1399207555.&type=3&theater

 That last data point drops down because the others are for the entire year,
while that last is only the first month of data in 2014, even so the ratio
remains pretty much as it was last year: 25x as many studies on mindfulness as
on TM.

 My own belief, and I've made it clear to John and Michael and anyone else
willing to listen, is that TM researchers need to perform head-to-head studies
of TM vs whatever (especially mindfulness practices like MBSR) in order to
leverage the landslide of researchers jumping on the mindfulness research
bandwagon.

 The prototype for how that research would work is this study published by
Charles Alexander of MIU and Ellen Langer of Harvard that compared TM and
mindfulness and the Relaxation Response ("low mindful relaxation") on a number
of parameters. Each meditation practice had its own advocate on the team, and
the study was jointly designed to make sure that all meditation practices were
treated equally and that subjects had equal expectations for each practice (a
major criticism of even "active control group" research):

 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2693686
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2693686

 The only way in which enough TM studies can be published to match the
mindfulness onslaught is for TM researchers to participate in studies where
mindfulness might prove to be superior to TM on one or more variables.

 Speaking purely for myself, TM is different to other forms of meditation but
the effects of the other types my be be more useful if you have the sort of
health issues that TM claims (but fails) to address. And may be more useful
anyway..

 Mindfulness can be highly beneficial for anxiety and depression states where
TM is patently not. But if you're just going to judge everything by the EEGs
what are you going to find out about it? Not much I would have thought.

 Here's the shocking truth; different types of meditation can affect and
enhance the way you react to things that happen in your life, or because of
things that happened previously, in different ways. The immediacy of experience
that mindfulness gives you can help you live more spontaneously by freeing you
from negative reaction patterns you may have picked up. It can also target
things that bother you rather than let you sit around hoping that some "stress"
is going to be released at some point in the future and you'll suddenly be able
to cope better with problems.

 This approach can be of enormous value and it's something that EEG research
isn't going to be able to help you with. You are way too fixated on this stuff
Lawson.

 Did you read the Stanford research paper MJ posted about how they tested TM
claims about stress release and anxiety reduction and found the TMO was
exaggerating, mistaken or lying about the long term effects? We all know many
people that don't fit the TM model of "perfect functioning" and would
undoubtably all know many more if a large majority didn't quit the practise in
the first few months, regardless of what their EEGs might be telling us.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

 Former TMers enjoy claiming that TM has the same effects as all other
practices, but anyone who looks at the EEG signature of various practices
instantly realizes that such people are either speaking from ignorance (willful
or otherwise) or deliberately  lying.

 Here's a discussion of no-self and American Buddhism in the context of a
course on Buddhist philosophy and how it fits in with the research on Buddhist
meditation (mindfulness, though focussed attention  practices such as Benson's
Relaxation Response, Samatha and Metta, all have teh same overall effect):

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/americanbuddhist/2014/05/buddhism-and-modern-psychology-week-five-looking-at-meditation.html

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/americanbuddhist/2014/05/buddhism-and-modern-psychology-week-five-looking-at-meditation.html

 "Now that we’ve seen it suggested that the modular theory of the mind
dovetails with the Buddhist theory of not-self, we look at how meditation might
fit in to our picture.
 The first way this is discussed comes by looking at the Default Mode Network,
which is the part of the brain that is active when our mind isn’t focused on
anything. Brain scans have shown that meditation quiets this network. "
 The activation of the Default Mode Network (DMN) becomes greater during TM.
Coincidentally, activation of teh DMN is associated with "sense of self," so
the fact practice of meditation techniques that quiet the DMN also quiet "sense
of self" is, well, a no-brainer. Likewise, the fact that TM, a mind-wandering
practice, enhances teh activity of the DMN (including strengthening the
activity of the brain associated with "sense of self") is a no surprising,
either.

 People who insist that all meditation practices eventually lead to the "same
place" are fooling themselves. Mindfulness and concentrative practices, in the
long run, distort the functioning of the Default Mode Network. Maharishi called
this "subtle damage" to the nervous system. TM enhances the normal restful
functioning of the brain, aka the "Default Mode Network," which becomes active
whenever the mind is allowed to wander.

 There's no reconciling the two approaches to spirituality.