--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >

[comments out of original order]

Being In the Present:

> But neither 'better' nor 'worse' has ANYTHING to do
> with enlightenment.  Enlightenment, as I understand it,
> revolves around that magic word that keeps coming up
> in Tom's writing here -- appreciation.  If one is
> capable of appreciating one's own eternal nature,
> eternity is present in every moment, right here,
> right Now.

Thoughts of Past and Future:

> Maybe.  This is a source of endless fascination for
> me, this longing in spiritual traditions for either
> the future ("Everything will be rosy when <supply
> your own 'when' here>") or the past ("If only things
> were as rosy as they were <again, supply your own
> 'when' here>").  It seems completely contradictory
> to the experience of living in the Now that has been
> presented as one of the primary characteristics of
> life in enlightenment.

Can one have thoughts and/or maintain activity when absorbed in the
present? If so, does the content of the thought matter?
Does the content of "past" or "future", or any thought content, affect
the ones degree of absorbsion in Now?

Can one be full of thoughts about the present and not be absorbed in Now?

> And as such, it's not really about a dream for a
> "better world."  It IS that, of course, but at the
> same time it's a rejection of the *current* world,
> a kind of attachment to the way things "should" be,
> as opposed to an acceptance of and appreciation for
> Things As They Are.

Are you diminished when having the thought that some people a reject
the *current* world, and have a kind of attachment to the way things
"should" be? Are you absorbed in the present when having this thought?