I know nothing about Rymer, but what you describe of his interactions with
Maharishi was also true of Robin. There was no conflict between Robin and
Maharishi until he showed up with his group (of mostly TM teachers) in
Fairfield--seven years or so after he had first claimed enlightenment--and
tried to portray himself as the new leader of the TMO.

 I have to say Barry, when I hear you talk about your experiences in California
as as Regional or State Coordinator, it doesn't jibe with my experience in the
Midwest, as it pertains to keeping people off course etc.

 You paint a very severe and petty picture which I do not recognize.

 P.S. As regards Andy Rymer, as I've reported here previously, during the time
I saw him interact with Maharishi, which was around 1977, it was always a very
affectionate interaction.  There was no "competition" going on.

 P.S.S. As regards this ostracizing of anyone who claims to have reached
enlightenment, I suspect the protocols in the TM Movement were similar to most
any student/teacher relationship in the eastern tradition.

 But it isn't surprising that you would try to paint this relationship in the
worst possible way as it pertains to the TMO.  Let's face it, that is what
constitutes about 80% of your participation here.

I can confirm what Curtis says here, from my earlier Regional Office and State
Coordinator days. Other than conducting a Black Mass in the TM center,
*nothing* was as likely to get you on Maharishi's Shit List and exiled forever
from the movement than "announcing your enlightenment." It was an instantaneous
way to be dropped from all mailing lists, be barred from any courses, and be
shunned by all concerned.

As Curtis suggests, this is pretty odd behavior for a group that promises the
fastest path to enlightenment. Several scholars who have specialized in the
study of spiritual groups have proposed as one of their primary definitions of
a cult the tendency to denigrate any student who claims to have achieved what
only the "leader" is supposed to have achieved, and promote the idea that
"Nobody graduates." This is seen by many of them as *the* most defining
characteristic of a controlling cult.