On 5/31/2014 5:26 AM, TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
More general musings about spirituality from the Hoofdploppen Cafe.

That's not the real name of this cafe, BTW. I just call the quiet inner-city-Leiden square where it's located the Hoofdploppen Square. It's a joke in my made-up Dutch, signifying that the square in front of the building across the street is where they used to chop people's heads off back in the 17th century.

You are probably sitting across from where the explosion wiped out almost the whole of downtown Leiden. Apparently the open space for the park was formed by the accidental explosion of a ship loaded with gunpowder in 1807. From what I've read, there was a 80 year war there and the Dutch people had a hard time getting rid of the Spaniards. Many economic historians regard the Netherlands as the first thoroughly capitalist country in the world. Go figure.

---
is active.
    • [Fairfield... steve.sun...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [Fairfield... authfri...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]