> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> My addition: Nightline did a town hall meeting show the other night
> in which
> they discussed the nation's preparedness for disasters which are
> likely to
> strike. The general consensus was that despite 4 years of "Homeland
> Security" efforts, we are poorly prepared.

LOOKING BACK ON HURRICANE HISTORY

President: Nixon
Category 5 Hurricane Camille, August 1969
Area: About the same area as that affected by Katrina
Response: Nixon prepared the National Guard in advance, ordering
rescue ships from Tampa and Houston to stand waiting along with
over a thousand regular military, 24+ helicopters to assist the
Coast Guard and National Guard about as soon as the hurricane
passed.

President: Bush (the Elder)
Category 5 Hurricane Andrew, August 1992
Area: Florida
Response: In the middle of a re-election campaign, Bush ceased
campaigning the day before the hurricane, went to Washington,
and assembled one of the largest military forces ever mustered
on US soil. 7,000 National Guard and 22,000 regular military
were sent in with the necessary equipment shortly after the
hurricane passed through.

President: Clinton
Category 3 Hurricane Floyd, September 1999
Area: Virginia and Carolinas
Response: Meeting with China's president Jiang in New Zealand,
Clinton immediately declared the hurricane-affected areas
federal disasters, allowing the military and National Guard
to move in and help. Clinton flew home immediately, one day
before the hurricane hit, to help coordinate the rescue.

President: Bush (the Younger)
Category 5 Hurricane Katrina, August 2005
Area: Gulf Coast
Response: National Guard troops are down about 8,000 members
because they are in Iraq with much of the needed rescue
equipment. Bush was on vacation, riding his bike for two
hours the day before the hurricane landed. On that day,
Bush attended a birthday party for John McCain. The levees
began to crack. While emergency 1.5-ton sandbags were ready
to be placed to strengthen the levee and exclude water,
there were insufficient helicopters and pilots to set them
before the levees broke. New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin pleaded
for federal-level assistance and got none. Bush went to San
Diego to play guitar with a country singer and end his
vacation early - but not until the next day, because he
had tickets to a San Diego Padres game.