Robin never intended to not be a part of the organization, actually. He wanted
to reform it, not leave it.

 And he didn't "want" anything specific after he became enlightened. According
to him, his experience was that he no longer had any personal desires. If you
read his posts, what Xeno goes on to say matches what he has said of that
experience. Don't mistake what he said that I quoted below for a perspective
that he adopted personally, even though it's expressed that way now. At the
time, it was, in his experience, a perspective that was bestowed upon him, that
he had no choice but to adopt--or in Xeno's words, "just another object in the
field of experience."

 Finally, as far as he was concerned, his experience was exactly what Maharishi
described in a passage from SBAL that I posted at one point. Don't have time to
look it up now.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 Whether or not Robin co-opted Maharishi's teaching is to me not an important
point, since every teacher that goes out on their own rather than being part of
some organization has co-opted the teachings of those before them and probably
added to, and subtracted from them as well.

 I do not see here in what Robin says that he knew what enlightenment was, but
there is a problem in my saying this because the essential value that various
traditions ascribe to this idea of enlightenment would seem to be undefined,
indescribable because it is beyond the ability of thought to encompass except
by the poor use of analogy and metaphor which means one has to 'read between
the lines' to grasp what is being talked about, and if you do not know what is
being talked about you cannot grasp the significance of the metaphor. This
would lead to the conclusion that you cannot actually ever say what
enlightenment is.

 My thought here is Robin wanted to be co-equal with infinity while retaining
individuality rather than just be infinity. This is not to say that in
'enlightenment' there is no experience of ego, but that the interpretation of
experience is not via the ego in enlightenment, it is just another object in
the field of experience. In 'ignorance' the interpretation of experience is via
the ego, through the small self. In enlightenment, experience is interpreted as
a function of the totality of consciousness, which is not a persons
individuality. But as enlightenment is essentially undefined, that probably
cannot mean much.

 I just found a post from Robin that makes what he had in mind explicit (if
not, er, perfectly clear). Excerpt:

 "What I did believe...was that my enlightenment had opened up a truth that was
intrinsically relevant to to Western Civilization, and this was all about the
drama of *individuation*. I certainly had perfect confidence that Maharishi,
eventually, would confer upon me an official status which would enable all
those who were devoted to him to be initiated into the reality of what seemed
empirically undeniable; namely, that one's life, the providence of one's
personal history, was the universe's attempt to create a perfect kind of
individuality through the drama that, metaphysically, was contained in the
context of one's life—--especially in relationship with other human beings.

"As vivid and real as this seemed to me while I was in Unity
Consciousness--—and everyone who participated in this adventure with me became
convinced of this truth of the intrinsic meaningfulness of one's life in a very
personal sense—--and acted out and applied this truth in their own life quite
independent of myself—--as vivid and real as this was, it now, after coming
down from enlightenment, seems unreal to me.

 "But that is what I was seeking from Maharishi: the official imprimatur which
would enable all his initiators/governors to recognize the complementary
reality to transcendence: perfect individuation through becoming sensitive to
the inherent drama of one's personal life. That life was arranged to make
manifest this drama....

 "I only wanted the TM initiators to know the secret that seemed to have been
uncovered through my enlightenment. The secret of Western Civilization as seen
through the Veda in the form of an enlightenment which appeared to confer equal
significance to the Self and the self."

 I still don't think "co-opt" is quite the right term, but clearly he felt
Maharishi's teaching needed this additional component (at least in the West)
that only he, Robin, could supply.

 Right, I had forgotten some of the details of this whole drama I was involved
in for 3.5 years. It was about the personal-ness, the individuation, the West.
Robin felt he embodied much of what was best about the personal, the dynamic,
the energy of our culture and civilization of the modern western world.  He was
all about the activity, the realness, taking advantage of the art, the music,
the literature as a fully realized human being. But it was deeper than that
too. It was combining, perfectly, the East and the West and it had to be deeply
felt and deeply personal. I may be mis-remembering and I am sure Robin could
correct me as it has been a very long time since I have thought about all of
this, but I think I am accurate in most of what I am recalling. And I think
this is what was so attractive to many of us; it wasn't just about sitting with
eyes closed, it was about evolving, being part of this huge drama of life and
of using depth and intimacy as a means to hasten our way toward enlightenment -
combining TM with confrontation (demon tracking and annihilation), personal
relationships and involving ourself deeply with all the West had to offer.
Consequently it was a lot of fun most of the time. It was like Robin was the
Western representative of enlightenment and MMY was the Eastern rep.