<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bbrigante
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
>

> snip

> > breath
consumption is

> > > @@@@@@@
> > >
> > > Exactly, Bobananda. However, it would be indistinguishably
lower
> > than if you were just
> > > sitting with eyes closed.
> > >
> > > L B S>>>
> >

> > I have never in my life had anything like the experience of
breath
> > suspension that I get from TM, by just sitting with my eyes
closed.
> > The two are ENTIRELY different states of physiology, and if
someone
> > measures me when I am in that state of breath suspension they
will
> > wonder how my body is maintianed. There are yogi's who can
sustain
> > it for days, with VERY low oxygen consumption. Mine is unstable
and
> > I cannot cause it at will, but it is the same thing in lesser
form.

> > OffWorld
>
> &&&&&&&&
>
> You may be correct in this. My response to Bobananda was a
sweeping overgeneralization
> in that I was only referring to the average readings.
>
> Breath suspension may be unique to meditation. I can't speak to
this definitively because I
> don't know if there is research on the possibility or extent of
breath suspension among
> those who just sit quietly with eyes closed.
>
> L B S

True. Point taken. Well said.
I have done one study. Unpublished as yet. For my whole life growing
up as a child and an adult I have never experienced breath
suspension whilst sitting or lying with my eyes closed.
However in the last few years only (not when I first learned TM, or
for many years after) I have experienced my breathing stopping for
prolonged periods without any recovery necessary. I sometimes think
I must be about to die. But then breathing starts again gently.

This is my one case study of sitting with eyes closed, compared to
TM lractice or transcending associated with TM.

Anyone else had this?

OffWorld