don't spam us, we are not a dump.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Ron F <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Note: forwarded message attached.
>
>   Hey Ron,
>                   Please post this message to all Lists.

 Jason

> -------------------OriginalMessage------------------
>   Deepavali - the Festival of Lights
>
>   India is a land of festivals where you will see at least one
major festival each
> month. Deepavali (or Diwali) which literally means "rows of lamps"
is one of the
> four main festivals of India. Throughout the world all Hindus
celebrate Deepavali or
> Diwali with great pomp and enthusiasm.
>
>   The celebration of Diwali lasts six days, beginning on the 12th
day of the month
> of Kartik (as per the North Indian lunar calendar). The day before
Diwali, in order
> to evoke the grace of God, women fast. It is not that God wants
you to go hungry or
> takes pleasure in your suffering - the principle is that you gain
only by giving up.
> That evening, devotees worship Gomata (the cow) and her calf and
feed them special
> food. Women pray for the welfare of the entire family. This holy
day is called
> Vasubaras.
>
>   The first official day of Diwali falls on the 13th of Kartik.
People set about
> cleaning houses and shops, and decorating doorsteps and courtyards
with rangoli or
> multi-coloured designs. They purchase gold ornaments, new vessels,
clothes, and
> other such items. Devotees arise early in the morning before
sunrise and take oil
> baths. If possible, they wear new clothes. In the evening, people
worship coins
> representing wealth. Houses and courtyards glow from the lights,
and families
> decorate with lanterns. This day of celebration is called
Dhantrayodashi or
> Dhanteras.
>
>   The second day is called Naraka Chaturdashi. People take an oil
bath in the early
> morning and then in the night they light lamps and burn
firecrackers. People visit
> their relatives and friends, exchanging love and sweets.
>
>   On the third day, people worship Lakshmi, the Goddess of wealth.
People decorate
> their houses with lit lamps and lanterns to welcome Lakshmi to
their home and
> hearts. On this day businessmen close old accounts and open new
accounts. The earth
> is lit up by lamps and the skies are coloured by the multi-hued
lights of fireworks.

>   In North India, the Govardhana Puja occurs on the fourth day of
Diwali. Devotees
> in the North build hillocks made of cow dung, symbolising
Govardhana, and decorate
> and worship them. North Indians observe this day as Annakoot, or
the mountain of
> food.
>
>   The fifth day of the festival called Bhaiyya Dooj celebrates
unique and fun
> customs. Every man dines in his sister's house, and, in return,
presents her with
> gifts. North India calls it Yama Dwitiya. Thousands of brothers
and sisters join
> hands and have a sacred bath in the river Yamuna.
>
> The Legends
> Dhanteras
> The scriptures mention the divinity called Dhanvantari emerging
from the churning of
> the ocean with a kalash (pot) filled with Amrit (ambrosia). Due to
the fact that
> Dhanvantari, who revealed the science of Ayurveda to the world,
first manifested on
> this day, all over India, doctors following the Ayurvedic system
of medicine
> organise joyful celebrations of the annual Dhanvantari festival.
>
>   Naraka Chaturdashi
>   There is a legend about a king of Prag-Jyotishpur, named
Narakasura. He was a
> powerful king who misused power to harass his subjects. Sri
Krishna destroyed this
> oppressive asura king on this day. Unjustly imprisoned people
celebrated their
> freedom with friends and family. The citizens celebrated
deliverance from
> Narkasura's reign by lighting lamps.
>
>   Sri Rama
>   Deepavali falls on a no-moon day - in fact the darkest day of
the year. The
> illuminations and fireworks, joy and festivities, are to signify
the victory of
> divine forces over the powers of darkness. On Deepavali day,
triumphant Sri Rama is
> said to have returned to Ayodhya after defeating Ravana, the asura
king of Lanka.

>   Goddess Lakshmi Devi The Puranas say that it was on this day
that Goddess Lakshmi,
> who emerged from the churning of the ocean of milk, married Lord
Vishnu, the
> repository of all divine qualities.
>
>   Govardhana Puja
>   In order to shelter the gopis and gopas and their cows from the
torrential rains
> sent by Indra, Krishna lifted a hill near Mathura called
Govardhana with his finger
> and sheltered all the people for a period of seven days under it.
By then Indra saw
> Krishna's greatness and asked him for forgiveness.
>
>   Bhaiyya Dooj
>   The river Yamuna and Yama the God of Death were brother and
sister. As they grew
> up they went their different ways. On this day Yama supposedly
visited his sister
> Yamuna, who in her joy at seeing her brother after such a long
interlude set up a
> feast for him. Pleased, Yama granted her a boon. He declared that
every man that
> receives a tilak or vermilion mark on the forehead from his sister
and presents her
> with lovely gifts on this day would attain higher worlds.
>
>   The message of Deepavali The traditional name of India is
Bharata and Indians are
> Bharatias - or those who revel in light. During the night of
Deepavali the myriad
> little clay lamps (diyas) seem to silently send forth message of
Deepavali: "Come,
> let us remove darkness from the face of the earth."
>
>   The dharma of the fire is the same wherever it is: in a poor
man's house, in a
> rich man's house, in America, in Antarctica, or in the Himalayas.
It gives light and
> heat. The flame of the light is always turned up. Even if we keep
the lamp upside
> down, the flame will burn upwards. The message is that our mind
should be focused on
> Atman, the Self wherever we are. The lamps remind us of our dharma
of realising our
> divine nature.
>
>   "The Self is self-luminous being pure Consciousness. The
cognition of all objects
> arises from the light of pure Consciousness." -says
Bhrihadaranyaka Upanishad

>   One lamp can light several others. You can even light another
1000 lamps, still
> the flame and the light of the first lamp will remain as it is. It
loses nothing. By
> becoming manifold, the light loses nothing. The lights of
Deepavali represent
> Brahman and the creation. It conveys the message of the mantra:
>
>     "Purnamada Purnamidam Purnaat purnamudachyate
> Purnasya Purnamadaya Purnamevasishyate"
>
>   The rows of lamps teach yet another important lesson and that is
of unity. The
> light that shines forth from the Sun, the moon, the stars, the
fire is all the same.
> To see and recognise that one light, the light of consciousness,
which is
> manifesting and pulsating in and through all of creation is the
goal of life. Thus
> recognising all of creation to be an __expression of your true
Self spread the light
> of love and compassion.
>
>   The lights of Deepavali are displayed at the entrance doors, by
the walls of
> houses, in the streets and lanes. This means that the inner
spiritual light of the
> individual must be reflected outside. It should benefit society.
Passer-by may