Shortly after posting this, I ran across this link, which expresses my thoughts
in a different (and very entertaining) way. It's not that I have anything
against the image of nurturing mother-goddesses; it's just that I reserve the
right to revere more kick-ass goddesses (and princesses) as well. Or a
combination of the two, because the two traits are, after all, not mutually
exclusive.

Rejected Princesses

   Rejected Princesses
Women too awesome, awful, or offbeat for the movies. Updated Wednesdays.
View on www.rejectedprinc... Preview by Yahoo
Re the Cathars, they *are* one of the only religions in Western history who
treated women well. There were equal numbers of men and women Cathar priests
(and they used the same word for both, even in the old Provençal language,
where it was gender-free). The 13th century in the south of what is now France
was a rare island of gender equality in Europe. Women could own property in
their own names in that area at that time, a basic right that didn't happen in
the rest of France until De Gaulle. As you suggest, there definitely *was* a
Cathar influence on the Troubadours, but it might not have been as romantic as
you might think, because the Cathars were a dour lot who didn't believe much in
earthly love and pleasure. The Troubadours probably picked up more of their
notions of earthly romantic love from North Africa and the Muslim culture than
they did the Cathars. The latter, however, might account for the
unrequited-love-at-a-distance meme in Troubadour
 poetry.

As for Isis, I still prefer this vision of her:

Bob Dylan - Isis (1976)

   Bob Dylan - Isis (1976)
View on vimeo.com Preview by Yahoo