In the town I grew up, Laurens, SC there were tin roofed unpainted shacks
inhabited by black people literally within a few minutes walk from the big
fancy houses of some of the wealthiest people in town.

________________________________
 From: "TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]"
<FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:54 AM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: A billionaire who "gets it"

I have to agree, Michael, having also grown up in the South. If you have any
doubts that shanty towns still exist in America, all you have to do is watch
"True Detective," filmed in modern-day Louisiana. One of the most effective
"visual effects" in the show was just to show miles and miles of such
landscapes in aerial pan shots. They worked because it was good cinematography,
but also because many of us in the audience were saying to ourselves, "But
wait...there aren't *really* places in America that look this poor, are there?"

There are.

With regard to poverty elsewhere, I can speak from more recent experience about
New Mexico. It is the second-poorest state in America, and it shows. The shacks
in New Mexico may be
 made of adobe instead of "found lumber," but that's only because mud is easier
to find in the desert.

The current percentage of people living below the poverty line in New Mexico is
19.5% If that figure surprises you, the same figure for the United States as a
whole is 14.9%. The middle class is in some ways worse off, living with low
salary levels that make working at McDonald's look like a good job. When I
lived there, over 50% of the population had no health insurance and no auto
insurance, because they couldn't afford to pay for that and also pay for rent
and food.

Living in Santa Fe, I *could* have remained unaware of how upscale it was, and
how atypical of life in the rest of the state it was. But I chose to wander
further, and thus drove, hiked, and rode horses through a lot of the desert on
the outskirts of Santa Fe and in neighboring towns, and thus got a real
education in what "life in America" is really about.

America
 is all about *hiding* its poverty levels, and pretending that they don't
exist. Thus it's easy to understand that many people who never leave their
middle-class cocoons don't believe it exists.

It exists.