 I have to agree, Michael, having also grown up in the South. If you have any
doubts that shanty towns still exist in America, all you have to do is watch
"True Detective," filmed in modern-day Louisiana. One of the most effective
"visual effects" in the show was just to show miles and miles of such
landscapes in aerial pan shots. They worked because it was good cinematography,
but also because many of us in the audience were saying to ourselves, "But
wait...there aren't *really* places in America that look this poor, are there?"

 Typical, get your information from a TV show.

There are.

With regard to poverty elsewhere, I can speak from more recent experience about
New Mexico. It is the second-poorest state in America, and it shows. The shacks
in New Mexico may be made of adobe instead of "found lumber," but that's only
because mud is easier to find in the desert.

 Recent? When was the last time you were living there?

The current percentage of people living below the poverty line in New Mexico is
19.5% If that figure surprises you, the same figure for the United States as a
whole is 14.9%. The middle class is in some ways worse off, living with low
salary levels that make working at McDonald's look like a good job. When I
lived there, over 50% of the population had no health insurance and no auto
insurance, because they couldn't afford to pay for that and also pay for rent
and food.

 Here is an interesting fact sheet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_percentage_of_population_living_in_poverty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_percentage_of_population_living_in_poverty
Also interesting to note that poverty is defined by earning between $1.25 and
$2 per day. But of course it is way more complex than that and poverty can be
defined as much more than money-based life situations.

Living in Santa Fe, I *could* have remained unaware of how upscale it was, and
how atypical of life in the rest of the state it was. But I chose to wander
further, and thus drove, hiked, and rode horses through a lot of the desert on
the outskirts of Santa Fe and in neighboring towns, and thus got a real
education in what "life in America" is really about.

America is all about *hiding* its poverty levels, and pretending that they
don't exist. Thus it's easy to understand that many people who never leave
their middle-class cocoons don't believe it exists.

 Where did you get this theory? Deep poverty is everywhere and everyone knows
this. But poverty-stricken people in the US and in first world countries is
particularly ugly because it shouldn't be like that, there are resources
everywhere and human rights and privileges are far less censured here than in
many other countries where war, corruption and tyranny is rampant. Poverty in
the US seems so much more of a "crime" because there is "plenty" everywhere and
yet the educational (lack of education) and the ethnicity factors exacerbate
the problem, not to mention substance abuse issues.

It exists.

 D-uh.