Tolle just kind of popped into this state and then sat around on park benches
for about two years before he began to function in it. Jiddu Krishnamurti also
just seemed to slide into this state. So these people can talk about it, but
seem to have trouble formulating a strategy for getting there, as they did not
experience any strategy or path themselves. The problem of the path though is,
if you experienced one, will it work for someone else?

 There seem to be some methods common to spiritual traditions that seem to have
some success, but the success rate is never astounding, most people just end up
believing the understanding part of the process. The common methods seem to be
1. some sort of meditation, and 2. some sort of understanding that the universe
has differing aspects, which, 'in reality' are basically the same thing, and 3.
if you moderate the mind's conceptualisation capacity sufficiently and reduce
the intensity of persistent thoughts by means of these experiential and
intellectual practises, all this might make sense sometime during the pursuit,
provided you are sufficiently focused on the supposed goal. The goal is a
supposition because you cannot know what it is before it manifests; you merely
have a belief about what it might be, and that belief is false because it was
not concerning a fact, but a metaphor.

 TM, as with other methods, appears to have a high failure rate, and its
intellectual component is misleading as far as expectations.

 Steve, I would say that Tolle is an enlightened person rather than an
enlightened teacher. Meaning that he became enlightened and then began to teach
what he thought got him enlightened. Like being in the Now. But imo, being in
the Now is a result of being enlightened rather than a technique for getting
enlightened.

 On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:04 AM, "'Richard J. Williams' punditster@...