The US is bankrupt but our officials and media lie to us and keep saying "the recession is over". What they don't say following is "the depression is here." But they'll say that more jobs have been created but *not* say that they're all low paying jobs. There are a lot of people with even advanced degrees who can no longer find work.

Then you have the health insurance debacle. Folks who had healthcare with their company didn't want it though those who didn't needed some help there. The better solution would have been Single Payer which would be Medicare for everyone. But the great USA is a capitalist's dreamworld or a nation of whores (you have to sell something to survive, usually you soul). So we couldn't just shove the health insurance companies and their robber baron schemes aside and have Single Payer. Not that it would have hurt those companies, it would have just expanded their market for supplemental policies they shove at Medicare recipients.

What the corporations liked was keeping their wage slaves tethered to the company for the benefits. I recall when I got my software management job everyone asked about the benefits not the pay. I could have cared less about the benefits as the pay was good. And being a hiring manager I learned that those benefits actually don't come free.