On 8/28/2014 9:02 PM, emptyb...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

Adi Shankara’s guru was not Gaudapâda, who lived about 100-200 years earlier by scholarly estimates^1 . Shankara’s guru was Govinda Bhagavatpâda <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govinda_Bhagavatpada>, whom he met on the banks of the Narmada River.

From what I've read, Gaudapada was, by tradition, "the philosophical grandfather of Shankara. His Karika on the Mandukya Upanishad is the oldest known systematic exposition of Advaita Vedanta. Gaudapada shows clear signs of familiarity with Buddhist philosophy, and both his language and his doctrine are close in many cases to Buddhist originals. This has led many scholars to speculate that Gaudapada himself was originally a Buddhist."

Read more:
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp/gaudapada.html <http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp/gaudapada.html>

According to S. Vidyasankar, gauDapAda is the first historically known author in the advaita vedAnta tradition, whose work is still available to us, namely gauDapAdIya kArikAs, an expository text on the mANDUkya upanishad. The kArikA of gauDapAdIyacharya is the first systematic treatise on vedAnta. Notes Vidyasankar:

"...to the advaita school, all four prakaraNas are writings of a human author named gauDapAda, and are therefore not regarded as Sruti, even though the first prakaraNa is found interspersed with the sentences of the mANDUkya upanishad" and "...it is clear that the GK has been written in the context of a vedAntic dialogue with various schools of mahAyAna buddhism, more prominently the yogAcAra and madhyamaka schools."

Other schools of buddhism such as vijnAnavAda and the madhyamaka school itself criticize yogAcAra for holding views that entail consciousness as an Absolute. gauDapAda apparently agrees with
this evaluation of the vijnAnavAda school.

/A number of works are ascribed in manuscripts to Gaudapâda include Uttaragitâbhâsya, a commentary on Nrisimhatâpaniya Upanishad, a Durgâsaptashati, a Vidyarâtna Sûtra and a Subhâgodaya on Shri Vidyâ. None of these identifications can be authenticated. It is also possible that the same author who wrote these Kârikâs also wrote the commentary on the Sânkhyakârikâs attributed to Gaudapâda. But the somewhat naïve character of the Sânkhya commentary seems so alien to the depths of reflection suggested in the Advaita stanzas that the identity seems unlikely. /^1

^1 /Encyclopedia of Indian Philosophies: Advaita Vedānta up to Śa//ṃ//kara and his Disciples/by Karl Potter.

Adi-Shankara never practiced, studied or taught any form of Shri Vidya, a purely Tantric practice. This is also the case for his chief disciples. The teacher known as Vidyaranya was born five centuries after Shankara.

Willy spouts this stuff because he wants to fool you and anyone else who will listen on FFL. Tantric practice invaded Shankara's Advaita sometime in the 12-13th century and still contaminates it today. This has been pointed out to Willy many times. However Willy is a fawning psuchophant who is not only unwilling but also incapable of admitting the truth.

He is also dishonest - allowing the mis-perception that he studied with Yogânanda to stand. Yogânanda died in 1952 - case closed.