Dr. Pete, who commented on this video on Facebook today (where I saw it,
because he's a FB Friend of mine), seems to agree more with my characterization
of these people as brainwashed than he agrees with yours. Sure, they were
young, idealistic, and inspired. They were *also* brainwashed, repeating the
exact phrases they'd been taught to repeat verbatim, all without having ever
seen -- or even *asked for* -- any evidence that they were true.

I'm gonna stick with "brainwashed" and "cultists." One of the reasons I like
Dr. Pete is that he has no problem describing his own time with TM the same way
and admitting that he was part of a cult. But then he's a shrink...in
retrospect probably the only way he *can* justify having been so stupid as to
believe the things we believed back then is to point out the systematic,
decades-long indoctrination that led to us believing them. Since what he wrote
is in public view on FB, I guess I can pass along one of his other comments
that I found perceptive:

"I helped produce several videos for various MIU functions in the 1980's
and it was always a problem to get people to talk about their
experiences in their own words rather than in TM jargon. It was the
worst with people 'higher-up' in the movement. I interviewed one person, who is
in this video too, who kept on saying that he experienced the 'home of all the
laws of nature'  when he meditated. I asked him,
off-camera, if he actually had this experience or if this was a concept
he had from MMY. He couldn't distinguish between the two which was
rather shocking."

Another former FFLer who is actually seen in the video describes it in the
comments thusly: "How embarrassing. Now I see why TM lost its popularity and
the university changed its name."