On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM, steve.sun...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] <
FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Do ya get the feeling, Barry's falling into a "Sam Harris sez" type
> pattern?

Sam Harris has a certain appeal to authority for him - he seems to need
that, which would explain why he has spent so much time and money in the
pursuit of a guru almost his entire adult life. If he wants Harris to be
his current teacher, he could do worse. Apparently Barry seems comfortable
with a few books, a TV set and some pirated movies to watch while posting
to social media. It's not complicated.

Barry is not much into actual group practice of any form of meditation,
yoga or martial art training, apparently. In contrast, Harris had spend
years studying and practicing under a Tibetan Lama, earning a Black Belt
and a Ph.D. in neuro-science.

The main problem with the secular approach to meditation training is that
when you remove the Buddhism from the practice, you've left out all the
interesting mood-making; all the saving grace and the inspiration. Instead
of transcending into bliss, you just stay on the surface level of the mind
concentrating on your breathing.

Anyone can learn to practice meditation in just a few minutes from a book -
the actual practice may be not so easy - as I found out sitting at the San
Francisco Zen Center. Try this simple experiment: just sit for one hour
without moving. If you are like me, meditation is way more more joyful if
you have a "seed" thought to return to.

The problem is that almost all Tibetan meditation training involves the
Buddhist religion to a certain degree. Barry has stated on numerous
occasions that he doe not believe in some aspects of the Buddhist doctrine:
The Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path and the "Chain of Dependent
Arising." Go figure.

And, everyone knows that Tibetan Buddhism has as many, if not more,
mood-making tools at your disposal, than almost any religion on the planet.
The problem is the will-to-believe: if you don't believe in the
enlightenment tradition, you might as well take a nap on the bed, and just
try to relax.

> I mean according to Barry, "half the internet" has read his book.
>
> sorta funny, I think
>

> ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote :
>
> Great find, Geez.
>
> It's quite an experience watching this and listening to Maharishi and many
> people I know personally, just after reading Sam Harris' new book. Bevan's
> so insane it hurts to look at him.
>
> I love the Australian announcer's way of putting things...it's very dry
> and witty and Sam Harris-like. For example, standing in front of the MUM
> sign with the flying dome in the background, saying, "I mean...its
> surreal...students here studying physics who believe they can *fly*."  :-)
> :-)  :-)
>
> Rather than lashing out at this news report as we all know some True
> Believers on this forum are girding their loins to do, I think they'd be
> better served by actually listening to it again and paying attention. This
> is not a "hit job." This is what rational people in the real world think of
> TM True Believers. And they're right.
>
> ------------------------------

  • [FairfieldLif... geezerfr...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • Re: [Fai... TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]