Richard, I find "following" my breath excellent for settling my energy body
outside of TMSP. It's like they say, "Let's all just take a breath." But I
don't try to slow my breath or deepen my breath. I simply follow it for 5
counts. Usually by #4, it's slower and deeper all by itself. And my energy
field feels more settled too.

On Thursday, September 18, 2014 2:46 PM, "Richard Williams pundits...@gmail.com
[FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Share Long sharelon...@yahoo.com
[FairfieldLife] <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

>Richard, I'm really glad I practice TM. Mindfulness seems like a heck of a lot
>of work, tracking the rising and continuing of thoughts!

You may way too advanced for a simple breathing technique - that's for
beginners in order to calm the mind. It's just like when MMY told us to "feel
the body as a whole."

You are already practicing the advanced techniques such as seeded meditation
using sounds In which the true nature of mind is pointed out by the guru.

"So take care not to impose anything on the mind or to tax it. When you
meditate there should be no effort to control and no attempt to be peaceful.
Don't be overly solemn or feel that you are taking part in some special ritual;
let go even of the idea that you are meditating. Let your body remain as it is,
and your breath as you find it." - Sogyal Rinpoche

>On Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:04 PM, "Richard Williams
>pundits...@gmail.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>

>On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Share Long sharelon...@yahoo.com
>[FairfieldLife] <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>

>>Richard, I don't use focusing on the breath to calm the mind. I use it to
>>settle the physiology. Then the mind calms down all by itself.
>>

>So, I mentioned this because some of the informants seem confused. The use of
>mindfulness is to gain insight into the impermanence of the self-view.
>Instructions for simple "vipassana" mindfulness meditation:
>

>       * Sit down in a comfortable position, on the floor on a cushion or in a
> chair.
>
>       * Rock from side-to-side slowly a few times and feel the body as a
> whole.
>
>       * Close your eyes and relax into thought - don't try to control your
> thoughts.
>
>       * Being mindful of each thought - how it arises and it's duration.
>

>>On Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:47 AM, "Richard Williams
>>pundits...@gmail.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>>

>>On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM, curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
>><FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>>

>>>L:
>>>Research will furnish answers, I am sure, but in the meantime, anyone
who says that TM leads to the same place as mindfulness and
concentration is full of it...

>>>M: You bring up a valid point about the difference between subjective
>>>experience and research. I guess the next question would be to get behind
>>>the terms we are using like "mindfulness" which is not taught in the same
>>>fixed way TM is. Are you confident that you know what I am doing under the
>>>umbrella of the term mindfulness and that it is the same thing as what was
>>>studied by other people who took completely different paths to their
>>>practice?
>>>

>>According to Harris, vipassana or "mindlullness" is simple concentration on
>>the breath with the goal of calming the mind. The emphasis is on the use of
>>mindfulness to gain insight into the impermanence of the self-view.
>>

>>In contrast, Adyashanti's meditation is based on the Mahayana Zen practice of
>>"shikantaza", or just sitting and allowing everything to be as it is. This
>>"just sitting" IS enlightenment.
>>>

>>>I am also open to the realiy that I will never experience mindfulness
>>>without my long association with the conditioning of my TM practice.
>>>
>>>I once "checked" the mindfulness practice of a friend to see if I could
>>>discern any differences in the answers he gave from checking TM. I couldn't.
>>>When he described his practice as we would do in 3 days checking I couldn't
>>>figure out how we might determine if his internal experience was different
>>>from TM people's. The language is too imprecise to make these distinctions.
>>>
>>>I don't know if the distinctions
 discovered in the research on particular types of mindfulness practices apply
to mine. So without standardization I am left to draw my own conclusions from
what I experience. TM and mindfulness practice lead me to a similar internal
experience. YMMV and I agree that research will help us sort out the
differences in brain states.

>>>But it is gunna take a while for the very young science of neuroscience as a
>>>whole to describe what these states mean with close to the same confidence
>>>you and most TM affiliated researchers put behind your theories. I think
>>>your confidence in your interpretation comes from TM triumphalist bias. Time
>>>will tell.
>>>

>>>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :
>>>

>>>MIndfulness and concentrative practices disrupt the Default Mode Network of
>>>the brain, which is highly involved with self-referral processing and
>>>sense-of-self.
>>>

>>>In fact, long-term practices lead to a new style of functioning of the
>>>nervous system where the original functioning of the DMN, complete with
>>>relaxed, mind-wandering alpha, starts to become a thing of the past.
>>>

>>>TM, on the other hand, enhances the functioning of the DMN and enhances the
>>>brain circuits associated with sense-of-self.
>>>

>>>Which is better?
>>>

>>>Research will furnish answers, I am sure, but in the meantime, anyone who
>>>says that TM leads to the same place as mindfulness and concentration is
>>>full of it...

>>>---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <noozguru@...> wrote :
>>>

>>>My experience has been that  "I" don't
exist.  It just seems that "I" go through the week as someone just
doing something. And it's not weird at all.  Like you say it may
be a little difficult to fathom intellectually especially if some
people have had few experiences even of  transcending.  It's just
at some point you no longer "come out" of meditation and it's not
"spaciness" either an issue that David Frawely has tackled in some
of his writings about "false" enlightenment.  Just do some
grounding things and if the experience remains it isn't spaciness.

witness in every moment, so that rather than having any
attention, on giving up anything, it actually becomes impossible
to be attached to anything. This can't be
understood in the waking state. Once a person lives in
freedom, a person can tackle any situation successfully.
Life becomes as simple as we want it to be. Attachment is
impossible, so even the most joyful and the most painful
moments will pass. Contrary to what the rational mind may
think, the witness capability, is not some sort of
anesthetic. As Ann and I were discussing, life is so
visceral, sensual and alive within itself, that even the
witness revels in fullness. Everything is uncovered and
seen for what it is. The inside and outside are balanced.
Attachment, and its consequent delusion, are impossible,
in a life lived in eternal freedom. No need whatsoever, to
think about non-attachment. It is automatic, after awhile.