Salvy seems to be a "science fan" and may not work in a scientific field. Those of us who do work in scientific fields know there are many unanswered questions. Remember at one time "authoritative science" believed the world was flat. I think some people feel more secure if they align themselves with "scientific thought" even if some of the theories later prove to be wrong.

A friend who is an Indian MD said they had a yogi come to the hospital who claimed he could stop his heart. The staff was skeptical but allowed for a test and indeed the man was able to do it. To reduce the need for food or water can be accomplished by reducing the metabolic rate to a dangerously low level. Yoga, in it's advanced state, can give us control over the autonomic nervous system. That's also how the ayurvedic mantras work.

Then there is the "placebo effect" which is not well understood and one might be able to "manifest" the nutrients needed with practice. Probably sounds like "hogwash" to the peanut gallery but they're fun to tease anyway.

On 09/23/2014 09:05 AM, Share Long sharelon...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
Jeez, salyavin, I had plenty of science education both in high school and at Univ of Maryland! And I'm living my life, not giving it up for anything...

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 10:54 AM, salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

*From:* salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

Steve, I like what you're saying here which is that we don't yet know all the laws governing gravity. And I think this is a very scientific attitude. I bet we don't know all the laws about anything yet! Including how human bodies obtain energy from their surroundings. Which kind of makes the future fascinating to consider (-:

Sorry you wild wild things, I don't think there will be any surprises from gravity and metabolism, I think we've got those pretty sussed - at least as far as floating and not eating for 70 years is concerned LOL.

Happy to be persuaded otherwise by some evidence though.

Sal, I think that the way that thinking about these kinda things works is, "If I can glom onto some vague anecdote and convince myself that *one* completely impossible thing is possible, then I can continue to believe in all of the other impossible things I want to be possible.

Otherwise known as "the appeal of miracles." :-)
*/
/*
I think that's it, if you start shutting down on miraculous claims you might look round the dome one day at all the "flyers" twitching and yawning and occasionally jumping up and down very unconvincingly and go "Waitta minute...I gave up my life for this!!!" I speak sadly from experience...

I also think that the way science is treated in the movement does a big disservice to people who join up and who didn't get a proper science education at school. They make sound oh so plausible but it's all a crock. The real appeal to authority is when Tony Nader and John Hagelin start polishing their PHD's before launching into the usual crock of insanity like the "Total Knowledge" course or the "physics of yogic flying". Two things I've seen that would guarantee they wouldn't get a job in the outside world ever again. But they've got PHD's so it must be true...