> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >

> > snip

> > > It would have been a little like handing him a gun
> > > so he could shoot them.
> >
> > ********
> >
> > Judy, this strikes me as a really odd thing to say.
>
> Well, actually I think you have a really odd way
> of interpreting it.  Self-serving, even.

@@@@@@@@

Self-serving? This strikes me as ad hominem, the type of argument you so
famously
abhor.

What I am trying to point out here is that for some reason you appear to be
arguing in
favor of with-holding information, which immediately invalidates any scientific
research,
which by nature is only accepted if it is open to public scrutiny.

@@@@@@@@

> > Only a loaded gun can shoot someone, and only one kind of
> > ammunition could have hurt MIU: evidence that their conclusions
> > were not vald.
>
> Or *apparent* evidence.  It's really pretty
> amusing that you're so sure the TM researchers
> "massaged" the data to show results that didn't
> exist, yet you can't conceive of a hostile
> researcher "massaging" data that shows real
> results so it ends up looking as if there are
> none.

@@@@@@@@

Now you are resorting to the straw man, and Big Time, if I may say so.

Regarding my certainty that "massaging" took place:

I lived on campus for the better part of 20 years, 7 as a student. I was in
constant contact
with people who were involved with TM research, including graduate students who
worked
on many of the published studies, including the one in question.

First, as a general point, I would like to say unequivocally that I was told on
several
occasions by graduate students in the sciences that such "massaging" did occur,
often
because Maharishi felt the results from studies were lack lustre and needed to
be beefed
up.

I also remember a discussion with a grad student from the MASCI who told me
that a
student who said that research studies had not supported the claim for improved
eyesight
based on TM practice was told by faculty that M had said vision improved, so if
the study
contradicted M it must be wrong.

With regard to the specific study in question, I have stated clearly on several
occasions
that it took considerable work after the fact to achieve the eventual claim of
25% reduction
of crime, and that I know this from numerous discussions with someone who was
working
on it at the time.

I have never said that I "don't believe in" the Maharishi Effect, nor have I
said that "nothing
happened" in the DC project. However, the movement has a long history of
fudging
studies, and this one appears to fall in that tradition.

Now, as for your remark that I "can't conceive of a hostile  researcher
"massaging" data
that shows real results so it ends up looking as if there are none":

I have made no statements anywhere near that ball park. To this point, I have
not even
mentioned Markovsky. So while we're on the subject, let me remove all doubt
about it.
Markovsky does seem biased in some respects, and may even exhibiit some form of
David/Goliath complex, but that doesn't mean that none of his criticisms are
valid. They
must be examined on the basis of their merit, and that cannot be done unless
all the
evidence is available.

@@@@@@@@

> I don't know whether the TM researchers fudged
> the data when they "massaged" it.  I do know that
> they had very good reason not to give the data to
> Markovsky even if the massaging was legitimate and
> the results were genuine and everything was pure
> as the driven snow, because he had the motivation
> and the knowhow to make it *look* like garbage.

@@@@@@@@

It is not uncommon in the public discourse of science for competitors to try to
descredit
each other. The whole concept of science as a public discipline is that the
process will
ultimately support truth. But not if the data are  hidden.

@@@@@@@@

>  That is, if they had nothing to fear,
> > why not hand over the empty gun?
>
> Because Markovsky had his own bullets and powder,
> of course.

@@@@@@@@

As I said before, the only information that can hurt a researcher is false
information. If
MIU's data were good, they had nothing to fear, in the long run, from
disclosing. This is so
fundamental I am surprised that it seems to need discussion.

@@@@@@@@

> Did you read what I said about Markovsky having
> complained--in a scholarly journal, yet, as well
> as endlessly on alt.m.t--that the TM researchers
> were unethical because they didn't obtain informed
> consent from the populations they were trying to
> affect?
>
> Does that say "objective and unbiased" to you?

@@@@@@@@

I have never, ever, said that Markovsky was "objective and unbiased", and I
defy you to
demonstrate otherwise. As I said before, competitiveness and grudges are not
uncommon
in the sciences. In the long run, only the data can say who is right and who is
wrong. If
there is a problem in the interpretation, it will be resolved in time.
Therefore, only those
with something to hide will fear the release of the data.

L B S