On 9/27/2014 7:12 AM, Share Long sharelon...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
I think turq's analysis doesn't go deep enough. The whole issue of self importance has to do with feeling safe in the group. Wanting to feel safe has to do with wanting to survive. We all have this hardwired into our brains. In my experience TM cultures feeling safe deep inside. Thus the growth of field independence.

/Maybe he is a failed spiritual teacher who, out of compassion, just wants to reveal the "truth" to the few still remaining in this discussion. Maybe he is a product of his own karma - manifested as ego and jealousy. Maybe he is having trouble dealing with his own cognitive dissonance. He seems to want to be spiritual or participate in a spiritual quest or he wouldn't be here, right?

But maybe he is in denial and can't reconcile his own beliefs in Buddhas. For example, everyone knows that Sam Harris trained for years under a Tibetan Lama. And, most everyone knows that Tibetan Buddhism is about as far-fetched as any belief system on the planet. Go figure. /

On Saturday, September 27, 2014 6:25 AM, "TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

*From:* "Michael Jackson mjackso...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>

Benjy, Marshy - two hucksters and Nappy, one brain addled sycophant.

While I cannot disagree, I think it is useful every so often to remember that at one point WE were sycophants, too. So what was "in it" for the sycophant?

I think that the thing that is "in it" for the sycophant is self importance. If the teacher in question is telling them that they are the most important people on the planet, and so important that every thud of their butt on the foam sends forth Wondrous Waves Of Woo Woo to transform the universe into a better place, some people are actually going to buy that. For a while. It's just that *still* believing it all these decades later strikes me as a bit much to ask. :-)

Personally, I think that one of the most useful pieces of neuroscience would be a study that managed to visualize in the brain the exact moment in which someone decides "This guy is enlightened and telling me the truth and therefore everything he ever says from now on will be truth." If we knew what that looked like on the level of brain chemistry, we might someday be able to prevent it. :-)