--- <salyavin808@...> wrote :

 --- <jr_esq@...> wrote :

Barry,

 You used the acronym QED, which means "quod erat demonstrandum",  and is used
when you have proved your point.  Actually, you have failed to do so.  In fact,
you did not even address any of the main arguments in the Kalam Cosmological
Argument.

 Instead, you made a conclusion that the universe was never created nor had a
beginning.  Whatever gave you that idea?  Most reputable scientists in
astrophysics today will tell you that the universe had a beginning as shown in
the Big Bang Theory.

 IMO, you should stop making conclusions without adequate proof.  By failing to
do so, you will continue to make errors in your observation of the world.  You
are making an error in reason just as the jihadists are using fundamentalism as
their justification to murder those who don't believe in Islam.

 Is this irony? I can't tell anymore.

Yes, this universe had a beginning. An eternal universe
implies that the universe is also infinite.

An eternal universe also implies that trillions of years
after the earth is gone, another identical earth will form
and everything that happened here will again repeat
ad infinitum. The possibilities also become infinite. Every
conceivable thing must spring into existence at some point.

But, if there were preceding universes, before this
universe, the First cause principle, Prime mover, becomes
redundant or unnecessary.

By the way, John hasn't studied evolution carefully.

Hey John, read below and weep,

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/ce/4/part2.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/ce/4/part2.html

This universe clearly had a beginning and will have an end.
This universe is also finite. So, you don't have to worry
about another identical earth existing or springing up. Such
a possibility becomes almost zero.

--- <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 Barry usually stops posting at about 20:00±1 hour GMT. So I will pipe in until
he returns to the light of European day. There are three scenarios:

 the universe created itself
 the universe did not create itself
 the universe is here, but was never created in the first place
 (And because we are here, it probably is not true that it never existed in the
first place.)

 We do not know why the universe is here, or how it came to be, we have certain
scenarios that correspond to observation. We have books written in the past
that tell us things about the beginning of the universe, but these books have
no supporting evidence. The beginning of the universe is something of a
mystery. Logic cannot be applied until there are some ideas and facts to reason
with. A beginning which has not been directly observed has no real facts to
argue upon.

--- <salyavin808@...> wrote :

 The universe is expanding. This is a fact (or something funny is going on, but
we have no reason to suspect that is the case) This means it must have been
smaller in the past. Run it back further still and everything gets compressed
into an infinitely dense singularity. This will cool as it expands and break up
into the subatomic particles that make up everything we know today. This is
well sussed maths that accounts for everything we see and is being tested bit
by bit in particle accelerators even if we didn't personally witness it.

 What came before then is a mystery but it makes no sense to get religious at
that point as there are ways quantum information can move back and forth over
any barrier very slightly. A vacuum won't stay a vacuum for very long. Symmetry
is broken. These ideas are incredibly simple and simply is how I think that's
how it would have to start. Any complexity has to be accounted for, complexity
requires information and we are trying to get from a state where there was none
to a state where there is an awful lot. Any god could not have survived the
start of his creation, that doesn't mean he wasn't there but he sure isn't here
now, at least not in the way I've ever heard him imagined. I think we have to
look within for an explanation to why the idea is so seductive still.

 Looked at from a spiritual viewpoint, it is also a mystery. If, for example,
being is an eternal present, there is no past and the universe cannot have been
created, even though it is here now, and were this to be an 'experience'
resulting from spiritual practices revolving around the concept of
consciousness, we also have a problem in that there is nothing to test, because
the only fact is first person, and cannot be experienced by another awareness,
there is only a person's description of that experience, there are no direct
facts. Further, being is often described as being 'undefined', that is, we give
names to it, but these are simply tokens, not the actual being, so we are
logically manipulating tokens, and logic cannot touch the real thing, were it
to be this way. If being is regarded as transcendental, then it is beyond the
manipulation of logic and its conclusions.

 Science assumes for the present the universe had a beginning based on various
factors relating to the background black body radiation, cosmology, general
relativity and quantum mechanics. What came before that scientifically, if
there was a before, is unknown. If you have ever seen Hawking's eyes, they are
clear and without anguish. Atheism is not necessarily the result of anger, most
atheism is simply the lack of belief in fairy tales that seem to lack evidence
and appear ridiculous in the light of common sense. Atheism is basically the
absence of certain ways some people look at and understand their lives. In its
place is another way but it is not somehow empty or removed from meaning. I do
not have a belief in the tooth fairy even though when I was very young this
myth seemed to have reality. That that belief is no longer a reality does not
result in anger or disappointment; other experiences more than made up for the
revelation that the story was untrue.

 By the way, Eckhart Tolle ran into Hawking when he was much younger and the
clarity of Hawking's gaze had a profound effect on him. In my opinion and that
of others, Hawking does not seem to have the qualities you are attributing to
him. He has a profound grasp of science and quantum mechanics, and feels that
such beginnings as that of our universe are more profoundly accountable for
without metaphysics and imaginary entities. Hawking believes the universe came
in to being spontaneously as the result of a quantum fluctuation in basically
nothing; there was no super intelligent directing force that caused this to
happen, instead it just happened. As Suzuki Roshi at the San Francisco Zen
centre once said, 'You do not say, "I will fart at 4 o'clock", it just happen'.

 Beginnings of grand totality are like consciousness, it is not possible to
independently observe it from afar because we are the very thing we are trying
to seek. So we end up with a tautology, a description that is always true in a
certain sense, but it trivial because it cannot contain any information other
than itself, and therefore proves nothing. What we are, and what the universe
is is ultimately a circular argument, which is logically pointless as a logical
structure cannot reveal the reality of it.

 You can experience the light of being in terms of anything, and atheism is
just as good an anything as anything else, and saves one from wading through a
mountain of dreck. If you think being is infinitely correlated, it can
correlate infinitely in the absence of mankind's tokens for gods and angels and
devils. It can correlate infinitely with a bunch of spinach, a cloud, a mouse,
with Barry's writings, with comic books, with the writings of great
philosophers, with a galaxy or a dying star.

 I am not defending Barry's viewpoint here. I think your contention here
concerning Hawking, atheism, and the concept of creation, is unsupportable. And
when the sun rises on the Netherlands, maybe you will encounter another round
of someone else's lack of conviction in what you say as well.

 If you want to argue with Hawking, read The Grand Design by Hawking and
Leonard Mlodinaw, which is quite a readable book, and you can see how he
presents his argument. It is obviously not the final say, but it goes as far,
and perhaps farther, than religious tracts discussing the same subject in a way
that is much less amenable to logical analysis.