 Ain't no thang.

 From: "TurquoiseBee turquoiseb@... [FairfieldLife]"
<FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>

   I liked this photo series, although I can't get a couple of the HuffPo
images to transform properly in either Firefox or Chrome. The photographer
makes his point admirably IMO -- when Americans think of people from different
ethnic groups, they seem to have an "internal image" of them based on the
imprint of years of propaganda and prejudice, and which they then "project"
onto the person they're looking at, not really seeing them at all.

 I would suggest that we often see the same phenomenon here on FFL, especially
regarding a few people who some people "love to hate." It doesn't seem to
matter what these hate-objects really say or how they say it, the haters see
them the way they see them in their minds anyway and characterize them using
the same old fundamentalist stereotypes. It's as if their "internal image" of
the person they dislike always "wins," leaving them unable to see any other
aspect of the person they're hating on. Some examples of Joel Parés
http://www.joelpares.com/ photos are below in the HuffPo article, others at the
link under his name.

 'Judging America' Photo Series Captures Nation's Stereotypes

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/30/judging-america-photo-series_n_5907966.html

 'Judging America' Photo Series Captures Nation's Stereot...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/30/judging-america-photo-series_n_5907966.html
 Terrorist. Gangster. Stripper. Landscaper. When people are viewed as
stereotypes, they're labeled on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion or
sexual orientation. P...

 View on www.huffingtonpost...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/30/judging-america-photo-series_n_5907966.html
 Preview by Yahoo

Following up, one of the most fascinating things I see on this forum is the way
that a number of people react to the word "Atheist." It should be pretty clear
at this point that jr_esq, Steve, and Nabby in particular have a *strong*
aversion both to the word and to the ideas they have in their minds of what an
"Atheist" is. From my point of view, it's as if when they hear (or read) the
word, the thinking part of their minds turns off completely, and all they can
do is react -- emotionally, angrily, and without making much sense -- to the
internal image of "Atheists" they carry around inside their heads.

The most interesting part of this Atheist Hatred is that those who suffer from
it seem to think that every time an atheist speaks, they're trying to "convert"
those who believe in God. I've rarely ever seen this, on any forum, and don't
think it happens very often *except* in the minds of believers. So with this in
mind, and inspired by Joel's photos, here are a few alternative images of
Atheists to balance the ones they seem unable to get rid of:

              • ... danfriedman2002
              • ... danfriedman2002
            • ... danfriedman2002
            • ... danfriedman2002