On 10/2/2014 6:51 AM, TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
Following up, one of the most fascinating things I see on this forum is the way that a number of people react to the word "Atheist."

Barry seems fascinated with the word "atheist" for some reason, but he's not really one of them: atheists don't usually believe in eternal Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, karma, reincarnation and notions of the Tibetan Bardo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardo <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardo>

Atheism is the rejection of the belief in the existence of deities or that there are deities, but no credible atheist claims they can prove that God does not exist. Neither can atheism explain why there is something in the first place rather than nothing. It's also absurd to believe that the the universe has always existed because the concept of eternality is not found in the practical world - everything we know is temporary. Go figure.

/"There are no atheists in foxholes."/ - Ernie Pyle

/"In fact, 'atheism' is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a 'non-astrologer' or a "non-alchemist". We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs."/ - Sam Harris

Works cited:

'Letter to a Christian Nation'
by Sam Harris
Vintage, 2006