Here is the reply I just received from my niece, direct from Paris.

"Basically what I've observed is nothing. I came into Charles DeGaulle
Airport, and all modes of transport were open to me, unlike the
reported closure of trains on CNN. I go out almost every night and
have never seen a fire. I eavesdrop mercilessly, and the only people
talking about it are doing it in english- with british or american
accents. The riots are happening, but they're the expression of one
community far on the outskirts of Paris AND from what the local news
reports they're on a serious decline. It's unfortunate that the people
behind the rioting are so incredibly justified for their anger, but
Paris is not on fire."