 From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Why do people sound American when they sing in
English?

you will have to explain that to us crass and crude Americans, I never heard of
such doings as this - and it was legal at one time? Who changed the law and why
wasn't it illegal to begin with?

We've always done it MJ, until recently anyway, it's a way of housing the
homeless or feeding yourself in critical times.

But squatting empty buildings became really popular in the 1960's because of
the housing crisis, I have no idea when the laws were agreed but there was a
statement you put on the door of the house you let yourself into stating that
it was now your home and there was basically nothing they could do about it,
except go to court to have you removed, which generally took ages.

To put it into perspective, my town has 30% of it's houses empty for 10 months
of the year and yet there are homeless people sleeping rough everywhere. This
sort of imbalance in wealth is very bad for society and the government doesn't
give a damn, they actively make it worse in fact. So squatting was a good idea
but it did attract a lot of the wrong types who ruined peoples houses. The way
things are swinging politically it couldn't last. everyone tries to out fascist
the other guy these days.

The people I knew in squats were either paying off student debts or anarchist
types living cheap and avoiding officialdom. We ran an environmental action
group from our pub as well as having awesome parties and plotted the overthrow
of Maggie Thatcher, but I went to travel the world before they built the
barricades. It was good clean fun and no one got hurt or even disadvantaged
much.

But it's all been illegal since a few years ago, the verminous Tories won't let
their rich friends be inconvenienced in any way so they stopped it. London
belongs to oligarchs now, the rich have won the class war and there's no way to
live except by paying vast rent to private landlords or buying a place if
you're lucky. I don;t know why there hasn't been a revolution in the last few
years, probably because everyone is kept passive by low wages and good quality
TV. And there's no good role models. Russell Brand is the best they've got
these days and he's a multi millionaire. But you'd never get away with it now
with our easily abused anti - terror laws and government monitoring.