Re "How could you get in unless you broke in? And, how did they keep warm in
winter, etc. If a house was unoccupied around here, the first thing happens is
the power gets cut off. Did they just use candles and kerosene heaters??":

 You've got me now! I'm afraid I was very bad. You can't legally break in. But
if a house was secure people did indeed break in. If the police asked what
happened you just said you'd found a window already broken when you arrived.
How could they disprove that?

 When we broke in to our house in Kentish Town we asked the Sid Rawle's commune
at Chalk Farm for help in settling in. They sent over a guy called Mervin (if I
remember his name aright) and he connected us to the water main and connected
us to both the electricity and gas supplies (all highly illegal). For the two
years I lived there we never paid any bills - no rent, no rates, no heating -
as we were off the official record. Astonishing that the power companies
couldn't detect that we were siphoning off juice. There were popular books on
sale, like Alternative London (sample page below), that also showed people how
to sidestep the security measures of the power companies. I'm sure they are
much harder to overcome today.

 You'll be glad to learn that over the years since then I've more than paid my
share towards the profits of our rip-off energy companies.