Interesting article about a phenomenon that as I remember had its start in
Fairfield. Descriptions of this Literary Pinnacle Of Newage Crap in the article
like "awful, mawkish, obvious, painful, unbearable, unenjoyable, and scarring"
and "a noxious sludge of sentimental woo-woo" just don't do its
horriblenessitude justice.

Someone I had known back in the TM movement once tried set me up on a "coffee
date" with one of the Chicken Soup authors. It was horrific, almost the worst
date in my life (for the record, the worst was with Barbara De Angelis)...I
lasted less than five minutes before making some excuse and running away, and
had to wash my ears out in the coffeeshop restroom before I felt human again.

What Makes the Chicken Soup for the Soul Series So Addictive and Awful?

What Makes the Chicken Soup for the Soul Series So Addic...
My romance with Chicken Soup for the Soul began and ended with the adolescent
iteration, Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul, and it was fostered in part
because I re...
View on www.slate.com Preview by Yahoo