Internet Trolls

What is a Troll?
An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on
the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and
upset people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for
their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are
hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite
human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel
no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater
the suffering they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they
see it). At the moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows
trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or
otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to
feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot
be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they
are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is
something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can
not be changed by mere words.

 Why Does it Matter?
Some people — particularly those who have been online for years —
are not upset by trolls and consider them an inevitable hazard of
using the net. As the saying goes, "You can't have a picnic without
ants."

It would be nice if everybody was so easy-going, but the sad fact is
that trolls do discourage people. Established posters may leave a
message board because of the arguments that trolls ignite, and
lurkers (people who read but do not post) may decide that they do
not want to expose themselves to abuse and thus never get involved.

Another problem is that the negative emotions stirred up by trolls
leak over into other discussions. Normally affable people can become
bitter after reading an angry interchange between a troll and his
victims, and this can poison previously friendly interactions
between long-time users.

Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual
criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate
backlash.

The Internet is a wonderful resource which is breaking down barriers
and stripping away prejudice. Trolls threaten our continued
enjoyment of this beautiful forum for ideas.

What Can be Done about Trolls?

When you suspect that somebody is a troll, you might try responding
with a polite, mild message to see if it's just somebody in a bad
mood. Internet users sometimes let their passions get away from them
when seated safely behind their keyboard. If you ignore their
bluster and respond in a pleasant manner, they usually calm down.

However, if the person persists in being beastly, and seems to enjoy
being unpleasant, the only effective position is summed up as
follows:

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to
reminding others not to respond to trolls.

When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a
troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing
that trolls can't handle is being ignored.

What Not to Do

As already stated, it is futile to try to "cure" a troll of his
obsession. But perhaps you simply cannot bear the hostile
environment that the troll is creating and want to go away for a
while.

If you do that, then for the sake of the others on the system,
please do not post a dramatic "Goodbye!" message. This convinces the
troll that he is winning the battle. There is, perhaps, no message
you can write on a message system that is as damaging as an
announcement that you are leaving because of the hostility that the
troll has kindled.

If you feel you must say something, a discreet message to the system
operator (and some of the others users, if you have their email
addresses) is the best course of action. Incidentally, if you are
writing the letter in an agitated state, it is a good idea to wait
an hour and then give it one last review before you actually send
it. That might spare you the pain of saying things that you don't
really mean to people you like.

Impersonation

One technique used by trolls to generate chaos is to pretend to be a
well-liked person. On some systems there is nothing to prevent
somebody from signing your name to a distasteful message. On other
systems the troll may have to be a bit more wiley, perhaps by
replacing one character with another. Here are some examples of
various spoofing gimmicks that could be used against a person named
Brenda Q. O'Really:

Brenda Q. O"Really Brenda Q. 0'Really Brenda Q  O'Really
Brenda Q. O'Rea11y Bredna Q. O'Really 8renda Q. O'Really

Note: "Brenda Q. O'Really" is a made-up name used to illustrate
spoofing and is not intended to refer to a particular person.

If you react with anger, the troll wins. So if you see a message
impersonating you on a message board, simply write a follow-up reply
entitled "That Wasn't Me" and type only this:

I did not write that message; it is a fake.

Of course, sometimes you will find that people who know you well
have already identified the message as a fake and have tagged it as
such. After all, one of the troll's goals is to make you look bad.
If you have a good reputation, people will be tipped off if a
message that you apparently wrote is completely out of character.

Trolls have been known to become so irritated at having their spoofs
identified that they have learned to write in another person's
style. They may end up writing an intelligent message that is
indistinguishable from your own golden words. If that happens, you
can always just let the post stand and take credit for it!

Trolls will also sometimes write a "That Wasn't Me" message after a
genuine one, attempting to elicit a denial. There really is no
reason to give him what he wants, since a "That Wasn't Me" warning
merely reminds people to be skeptical. That is to say, it is of no
real consequence if somebody isn't sure that you wrote a normal
message, since in the long run it is the ideas that are important.

The Webmaster's Challenge

When trolls are ignored they step up their attacks, desperately
seeking the attention they crave. Their messages become more and
more foul, and they post ever more of them. Alternatively, they may
protest that their right to free speech is being curtailed — more on
this later.

The moderator of a message board may not be able to delete a troll's
messages right away, but their job is made much harder if they also
have to read numerous replies to trolls. They are also forced to
decide whether or not to delete posts from well-meaning folks which
have the unintended effect of encouraging the troll.

Some webmasters have to endure conscientious users telling them that
they are "acting like dictators" and should never delete a single
message. These people may be misinformed: they may have arrived at
their opinion about a troll based on the messages they see, never
realizing that the webmaster has already deleted his most horrific
material. Please remember that a troll does have an alternative if
he has something of value to say: there are services on the net that
provide messaging systems free of charge. So the troll can set up
his own message board, where he can make his own decisions about the
kind of content he will tolerate.

Just how much can we expect of a webmaster when it comes to
preserving the principles of free speech? Some trolls find sport in
determining what the breaking point is for a particular message
board operator. They might post a dozen messages, each of which
contains 400 lines of the letter "J". That is a form of expression,
to be sure, but would you consider it your duty to play host to such
a person?

Perhaps the most difficult challenge for a webmaster is deciding
whether to take steps against a troll that a few people find
entertaining. Some trolls do have a creative spark and have chosen
to squander it on being disruptive. There is a certain perverse
pleasure in watching some of them. Ultimately, though, the webmaster
has to decide if the troll actually cares about putting on a good
show for the regular participants, or is simply playing to an
audience of one — himself.

What about Free Speech?

When trolls find that their efforts are being successfully resisted,
they often complain that their right to free speech is being
infringed. Let us examine that claim.

While most people on the Internet are ardent defenders of free
speech, it is not an absolute right; there are practical
limitations. For example, you may not scream out "Fire!" in a
crowded theatre, and you may not make jokes about bombs while
waiting to board an airplane. We accept these limitations because we
recognize that they serve a greater good.

Another useful example is the control of the radio frequency
spectrum. You might wish to set up a powerful radio station to
broadcast your ideas, but you cannot do so without applying for a
license. Again, this is a practical limitation: if everybody
broadcasted without restriction, the repercussions would be annoying
at best and life-threatening at worst.

The radio example is helpful for another reason: with countless
people having a legitimate need to use radio communications, it is
important to ensure that nobody is 'monopolizing the channel'. There
are only so many clear channels available in each frequency band and
these must be shared.

When a troll attacks a message board, he generally posts a lot of
messages. Even if his messages are not particularly inflammatory,
they can be so numerous that they drown out the regular
conversations (this is known as 'flooding'). Needless to say, no one
person's opinions can be allowed to monopolize a channel.

The ultimate response to the 'free speech' argument is this: while
we may have the right to say more or less whatever we want, we do
not have the right to say it wherever we want. You may feel strongly
about the fact that your neighbour has not mowed his lawn for two
months, but you do not have the right to berate him in his own
living room. Similarly, if a webmaster tells a troll that he is not
welcome, the troll has no "right" to remain. This is particularly
true on the numerous free communications services offered on the
net. (On pay systems, the troll might be justified in asking for a
refund.)

Why Do They Do It?

Affirmation.

Regular net users know how delightful it is when somebody responds
to something they have written. It is a meeting of the minds, which
is an intellectual thrill, but it is also an acknowledgement of
one's value — and that can be a very satisfying emotional reward.

Trolls crave attention, and they care not whether it is positive or
negative. They see the Internet as a mirror into which they can gaze
in narcissistic rapture.

If you want a deeper analysis than that, perhaps a psychologist can
shed some additional light on the matter.

 Conclusion

Next time you are on a message board and you see a post by somebody
whom you think is a troll, and you feel you must reply, simply write
a follow-up message entitled "Troll Alert" and type only this:

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to
reminding others not to respond to trolls.

By posting such a message, you let the troll know that you know what
he is, and that you are not going to get dragged into his twisted
little hobby.

The Internet is a splendidly haphazard collection of both serious
and silly material. Because it is so free, there are bound to be
problems. I think that we can best enjoy it if we deal with
everything that happens online with a wry grin and a ready shrug.

 I am a new member here. I have joined to learn more on the TM
Movement. I do work on campus. I don't do TM, but i have a a chance
to do so. I enjoy reading everyone who give post so far, even if i
don't understand all. Thank You for letting me join and learn.  Pat

http://us.click.yahoo.com/u8TY5A/tzNLAA/yQLSAA/JjtolB/TM