As I understand your question and framework, my approach is along alternate
lines -- which I am happy to try to elucidate.  I appreciate your background
and skills in rational thinking, epistemology, understandings of the
limitations and misperceptions of the senses and mind, cognitive biases,
scientific method, etc as displayed in your posts (current and past ones that I
have read in the archives.). I am not tied (as in feet in cement) to any of my
views and welcome refinement and even significant change when I come to
understand a richer, cleaner, more accurate approach to understanding both
practicalities and mysteries of life.  .

 For me, in evaluating traditional (yogic, tantric, vedic, hindu, etc)
practices and models of how the world works (as well as more modern
hypotheses), a number of different lenses, experience, understandings come into
play. I'll start with the following premise(s) with three more list at the end
which I will try to map out if you are interested. And others.

 1)  The Process of Hypothesis Generation is Distinct and Separate from Testing
and Validating such Hypotheses via Scientific Methods.

 That is, insights about the mechanics of life, nature, mind, universe etc.
might come from a variety of sources or inspirations. Ultimately it does not
matter the source of the insight. What matters is testing the hypothesis (and
whether it has the potential to be be falsified) and the predictive power of
the theory(ies) stemming from the hypothesis.

 For example, (as I understand it) both the special and general theories of
relativity came to Einstein principally through thought experiments which
sparked a fusion of highly disparate ideas -- a radically new way to view the
universe.  Only some years later, and continuing for many years to the present
did experimental evidence validate the various aspects of Einstein's theories.
And his theories have over time provided magnificent precision and power in
their predictive capabilities.

 Friedrich August Kekulé greatly enhanced the understanding of chemistry and
aromatic compounds, via insights into the structure of benzene via a daydream
of a snake biting its tail.Newton and a falling apple.  Archimedes in the
bathtub. There are many examples of scientific breakthroughs inspired outside
the lab, outside of logic and scientific method per se.

 Arthur Koestler wrote a wonderful book outlining many common parallels between
the insights leading to scientific discovery, art, and laughter. In essence,
his model is that common among all three is the fusion of highly disparate
factors and elements -- outside conventional thinking and pairing. (Though some
of his supporting evidence is probably updated and could benefit from the
findings of neuroscience over the past 30-40 years)  (On my TTC, Andy Kaufman
(before he was  "Andy f'ining Kaufman!!") asked MMY what made things funny or
what makes us laugh. My recollection is that MMY said a similar thing that is
its the "gap" between what is said and what is expected that makes us laugh --
and he went on to then tie that theme to the "Gap" between Absolute and
Relative -- a big MMY theme in those days)  Daniel Kahneman (cognitive
scientist who won Nobel prize, outside his field, in economics , author of
"Think Slow and Fast")  describes intuition as, simply "recognition"  -- that
is the "fast mind" mostly below the surface, pulls together vast amounts of
past information, into (at times) highly useful and effective heuristics,
insights and motivations. (and OTOH is also the source of huge blind spots and
cognitive biases).

 I am not at all arguing that thought experiments, day dreams, apples falling,
bathtubs overflowing are repeatedly valid means of gaining useful knowledge.
However, per above examples, nothing precludes such, or any softer, even
apparently mystical means as a valid means of obtaining insight.  Thus if
someone says "God revealed this to me", or "I cognized the most fundamental
sounds of creation", or "this really old book says this", or "my father told me
and his father told him" , or "I had this awesome acid trip", or "it just came
to me", or I saw it in the stars" (or tea leaves), or "Knowledge is structured
in consciousness and I have a higher state of consciousness so I know things
most people don't" (even if followed by a snarky tone), or I had a vision or a
dream, or "Shankara (or Jesus, or .. ) talked to me" --- I don't really care
(not should anyone I would argue).  The source of insight for a hypothesis as
to how the world works can come from almost anywhere. That is a wholly separate
and distinct process from validation of the hypothesis.

 Once generated, the hypotheses of course should be to the extent possible
validation via scientific means, tested as to its predictive power, and the
capability of it being falsified (which String theory is as I understand it is
not, thus 1000's of high level physicists and billions of dollars are being
focussed on an area of inquiry that by some definitions, falls outside of
science.)

 A problem is that many practical matters in life, more philosophical and
metaphysical issues, mysteries of life, are not particularly well suited for
repeated, large scale double-blind experiments and research. Thus, they can
either be totally rejected (baby and bathwater IMO) or supplemental means
validation can be explored. Some elements of such, for me include the
following, which if you are interested I will attempt to expand upon and
clarify.

 2) Traditional Practices and Models and their Potential Partial Validation
(via demonstrated adaptive evolutionary advantage over tens of thousands of
experiments over 1000's of years)

 3) Personal Observation and Experience (sorting out spurious correlations,
cognitive biases, misinterpretation, to identify effective heuristics in ones
own life (and possibly applicable for others)

 4) Processes of Personal Validation and Acquiring Trust of Insights from
Specialized Mentors

 Thanks for the question. Writing this out has been clarifying at least for me.

          • ... salyavin808
  • Re: [FairfieldL... salyavin808
        • [F... seerd...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • ... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]