 I remember him well.

 Was that a dig about the ubiquity of embarrassing TM teachers or do you really
recall my Newcastle Yank? (I think his name was Mike . . ?)

 I recall back in the day having a one-on-one discussion with the local TM
teacher for Newcastle upon Tyne (he was a Yank and an excellent and committed
teacher) when he suddenly leaned forward and said to me quietly: "Have you ever
transcended?". It was an embarrassing moment. It felt such an intimate
question, as though he'd asked me if I was still a virgin. I think that those
who had transcended rather preened themselves and looked down on those who
hadn't yet crossed the threshold.

 (Funnily enough, I myself had moments of "boundlessness" during the waking
state before I ever had such an experience during a TM session itself. Is that
a rarity?)

 Anyway I wanted to sound people out about what they understand by
"transcending" during meditation. Considering that our common practice is
called Transcendental Meditation, and so we're talking about a fundamental part
of the theory, it's amazing how different are people's understanding of this
basic event.

 Some people understand that "transcending" means:

 1) simply the on-going stream of thoughts, images and mantra repetition during
a meditation period. There's something to be said for this view. It's just that
the "moments" of transcending are brief and not conscious, but probably just as
effective for all that. The point of TM is not to have esoteric experiences but
to refine the nervous system so you are more effective during your daily life.

 2) when you end your session and the time seems to have flown by and you
remember after the event that there were jumps in awareness between the
clusters of thoughts. They could be "sleep events" but your head hadn't dropped
forward as usually happens during sleep and there is no post-meditation feeling
of grogginess.

 3) that sense of suddenly dropping down a steep slope - rather like the jerk
that sends shivers down your spine when you're falling asleep at night but
suddenly experience a jolt that awakens you.

 4) What I think of as "warm sensations" in the mind - it's as if you've
suddenly jumped from one cluster of brain cells to another group. This one's
hard to explain but I know what I mean!

 5) a period of complete cessation of all thinking or image-producing
tendencies of the mind. The emptiness and boundlessness is paradoxically at the
same time a sense of fullness. No thinker = no thoughts, so you can't be
self-consciously aware during transcending.

 No doubt there are other alternatives to those listed (let me know if there
are) but I think No 5 is closest to what MMY had in mind. And that is no doubt
also what my teacher had in mind many moons ago.

 Any thoughts?

 Or are you still a virgin?