Just a couple points as I go through it:

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 The moderator of the Peak comes over here for drive bys when he wants to get
his nasty on. After provoking the group and getting his reaction buzz he slinks
off after making outrageous accusations about the Barry's personal life meant
to harm him in the real world. Some of us object to that behavior here and
respond.

 Okay, not sure why Jim came over, but, I hope you are not missing the fact
that several posts a day, prior to him coming over were about Jim.  That, is
the point I'm making.  And many posts per day about the_peak in general.  Yes,
there was somewhat of a "peak" obsession going on over here. Just as there is
now.

As far as summing up the atheist and believers discussion people are having, as
referring to as a "man in the sky", that is an unfair characterization and
reduction. When discussing religion, if religious doctrine expresses an opinion
about what God wants for people in the world, we are dealing with a lot more
than some life force contacted in an abstract way in meditation.

 Agree 100%, which why Barry, in particular insisting on framing the discussion
about the subject matter, with people he didn't like as the "man in the sky"
framework.  On the other hand, IMO, that became a real bother in general, this
straw man deal.

Don't you see that any discussion about what the will of God is, which is a
phrase often used by Maharishi himself, is a personification of God? Atheists
are put down for responding to the personal qualities directly expressed in
theistic statements.

 I think I understand what you are saying, but the discussions of God here,
were generally away from a MMY context, I believe.

I know that believers here think their version of the God idea is vastly
superior to the one found in most of the world's religions, but they are very
careful about making any positive statements about their belief in their God
idea so it can be examined.

 Really?  I never got that impression from most of the participants.  I got the
feeling that most of the participants here were pretty much on the fence as
regards a belief in God.  If anything, it was the personal agendas of some
participants, on both sides that got in the way of meaningful discussion.  Do I
think that the manner is which one participant tended to demean an-others point
of view with misrepresentations? Yes, I do.

Here is a way to open up an actual discussion about your more sophisticated
version of the God idea. Just state what it is and why you believe in it. John
did that in a discussion with me and I respect him for it.

 As I have said many times, I am clueless about God.  Whether he/she/it exists,
I have no idea.  I am predisposed to the idea that there is intelligence at
work in the universe.  Whether it is random, or by design, I have no idea.  It
appears to be random.

 But closer to home, I do believe in the concept of karma.  I do believe in
life after death, and reincarnation, although I have no actual memories.

Until someone does that we are left with the statements made from the major
proponents of  the idea whose assumptions are often driving public policy in
inhumane directions.

You enjoy both forums for different reasons. Good for you. So why the need to
take shots at this one? Both groups believe their forum is better and express
that. OK who cares?

 I don't so often venture over here.  But, sometimes something said over here,
may bother me, and I respond.  I guess I am an emotional creature, or maybe
over emotional.  I know I've got a lot of things to work on

So I hope you continue in the spirit of our discussion which is not summarized
well by this characterization. I hope you and others take my invitation to make
a positive discussion of this God idea that is so superior to the "man in the
sky" one that it warrents serious consideration from thoughtful people.

 Yes, always interested.  As I've noted before, you have stated , something to
the effect, that "there is so much we don't know about genetics, or brain
functioning" that could explain anomalies like life after death, NDE, or
accounts of reincarnation that are, on the surface, difficult to dismiss. That
sounds a lot to me like, "God works in mysterious ways"

 I know we have had this discussion before, with no real conclusions drawn.

 You seem predisposed to dismiss accounts of NDE, and accounts of reincarnation
as anomalies of brain functioning.  I just have a different take on them, or my
threshold of evidence is lower.

 That's funny share.

 I'd say the three main topics on FFL these days, and maybe in this order, are:

 1) Talk about the superiority of FFL to the_peak, with endless references to
the moderator of the_peak
 2) Endless discussion (by one member of FFL) about all the tv shows and movies
he watches
 3) And the 'ol standby:  atheists vs. believers, often using the "man in the
sky" meme in which to frame the argument, at least by the guy most attached to
the discussion.

 Carry on fellas!

 Oh, maybe you meant "spurs" rather than spurns...