That was very nicely stated aryavazhi; I agree that with you about metaphors;
for myself the religious metaphors simply did not work as well as some others,
but as you must have experienced, there are those for whom religious metaphors
are the only thing that gets their attention. I think I understand them, but it
is a torturous path for me to do so. For me the 'spiritual quest' began with an
experience that was not in a religious environment, and very impersonal, so
finding metaphors (which in the early days means: getting sucked into certain
concepts) that resonated with me was an interesting task. The other day I was
reading about Zeus and Mt. Olympus and was wondering how the ancient Greeks who
were more spiritually, as opposed to religiously inclined, might have
interpreted this story metaphorically in terms of their experience. It is as
good a story as any, as all such stories have their particular insanity about
them.

 I tend to think of the verbal attempt to describe spiritual experience as a
cracked surface, like a jigsaw puzzle or a broken egg shell. When the surface
is whole it is smooth and connected. When broken, dark lines separate the
pieces. The pieces are the concepts we overlay on experience, the dark lines
represent logic which knits together the fragments into the smooth whole. But
when the concepts are faulty or the logic is faulty, the pieces do not fit
together correctly, and it seems ultimately there is some fundamental flaw in
attempting to amalgamate wholeness in this way on the level of thinking, so
eventually such attempts are seen as metaphors, similes, and analogies, rather
than 'truth', and once that is experienced half the battle is done; the attempt
at verbal mental precision is found to be creating an obscuring fog of its own.

 I concur with everything you say Xeno, except, that I will be more tolerant,
and less uncompromising, than you, to the needs of the ignorant - which also
includes myself. I agree with you,wrt the transcendental, the ground, whatever
it is or is not, but I also allow myself to be vague with this concept, that is
clearly situated in ignorance, which you call 'the man in the sky'. For me,
these concepts, all of them, are metaphors, they can be very lively metaphors,
life-metaphors as such, and since they are common in our culture, I can use
them for my own private porposes.

I don't have this ethos - clearly some of you seem to have here - the sort of
iconoclastic rigor to eliminate any trace of irrationality they could detect in
their own subconscious. So what? I don't care. If god intercats with the world,
or not, if he/she/it is in my own subconscious or not, what does it matter?

Maybe there is a difference, in not being an American, where religion seems to
hold a more prominent place in public life, here, in the Germany, evolution is
taught in schools, along with religion, as Salyavin said, the pope acknowledges
the Big Bang (something Einstein actually tried to avoid to prove, but
nevertheless did), all this is not a problem to me. In India, the creator god
has very little to say, in gnosticism, the creator god is actually 'bad', in
Buddhism and Jainism, there is no creation at all, there is only an eternal
cycle, and yet there are various personified Buddhas, Bhodisattvas, or
Tirthankars, in Advaita Ishvara is only a reflection of the impersonal Brahman
within maya, illusion.

As such, and very traditionally, they are only regarded as stepping stones to a
higher reality, that cannot be described by words. If you, as a human
consciousness, can experience this, in various degrees, reflect it, like a
mirror, or recreate the image of it, I really don't care either.

I also don't believe that any scripture, neither the Bible nor the Vedas or the
Bhagavad Gita, are the creation of any god, rather the have all been written
down by human beings, and they could reflect a variety of spiritual
experiences, theological thoughts, or political agendas. They serve as a canvas
for later interpretations, as an archive of allegories, that have been built on
them lateron, by either spiritualists, theologians, philosphers or simply
poets, and it would be wrong to dismiss them all because of their stone age
canvas. This is what I call reductionist simplifications.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 Buried in all this is a basic conundrum, related to ideas of god and ideas of
consciousness: How does something that is alleged to be transcendent and not
physical interact with the physical world or can direct the functioning of the
physical world; how can it have anything to do with the concept of will? And in
addition were these things considered to be physical, the whole mystical aspect
of gods and awareness goes down the toilet; the mystique as it were, is flushed
out.

 The invisible man in the sky is an attempt to create that mystique of
ineffability while preserving the sense that this phantasm can interact with
the world just as we seem to be able to do. It is an attempt to bridge two
supposedly distinct modes of existence that have nothing in common using
characteristics of our own personalities to mentally meld the concepts together
in our minds, however illogical that may be, but it tends to work because human
thought and memory is intimately tied in with human emotive responses to
situations, and emotions often easily ride herd over logic and common sense
reasoning.

 We take a concept of infinitely rarefied being which is essentially the
equivalent of nothing, divide it from the world and place it in a metaphysical
space and imbue it with our human characteristics so we can pretend it is
something and can do things as a magnified version of our persona. Then we
forget we were playing 'let's pretend'.

 We create something that is logically isolated and out of reach, but that does
not satisfy the emotions or the mind, because we like to connect emotively and
intellectually, we like things to fit together. This is the myth that drives
religious longings and the desire for enlightenment, to connect it all back
together, whatever we have set apart from ourselves.

 The job of the guru, the priest, the shaman, the rabbi, etc., is to infect us
with the myth, and then tell us how to knit it all back into a single fabric.
This is the confidence game. We are the chumps. The problem is the middle man
in this transaction doesn't have a job if the infected mind gets wind of the
truth of the situation. The supplier of the poison and the antidote are found
in the same person. In a religion, the antidote is indefinitely delayed. In a
spiritual path the gap between illness and cure might fall within the span of a
human lifetime. If it does not, there are other stories that have been made up
to keep you happy when you die a failure.

 The real purpose of 'a path of enlightenment' is to reset the mind so that it
sees clearly that all such scenarios are untrue, that the disintegration of
reality into separate modes of existence is a false understanding, and when the
mind settles into this understanding with sufficient rigour, it will not again
fall into the same and similar traps. This is called liberation or freedom, but
it is not really, because nothing is changed other than a mental delusion has
been righted.

          • Re: [Fa... Share Long sharelon...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • Re: [Fa... curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
              • ... jamesalan...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]