---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

 C3: My point exactly. Religious institutions oppose change for gay rights,
something you thought was a cheap shot at religion.

 S3: Jeez, Curtis, what am I missing. You stated that the majority of believers
in God oppose gay rights.  I said that was incorrect, as it is.  It may be that
the majority of clergy oppose gay rights.  That may be a true statement.
Please, stay in the right lane.

C3: it is easy to google if you are interested. There is a direct correlation
between gay rights rising in societies where religiosity is falling. This is my
main point, religion is holding back civil rights. Always has.

 S3: I don't think I had any disagreement with this.

 C3: And I copped to my own development in this area. But we need to change
concepts about heterosexuality as a norm I believe. Gay sex is the norm for gay
people.

 S3: Great. Gay sex is norm for gay people.  S&M is the norm for some people.
Straight sex is the norm for other people.  People are okay with that, as
evidenced by the support for gay marriage.  Your argument seems to be that the
religions aren't on board with it, I guess.

 Well, there is some good news.  You can choose your religion, but you don't
have choice in the laws of the State.  And the laws of the State are changing,
at a rapid pace.

C3: You have people you love who are gay as do I. That is the biggest force of
change in society toward gay people. Religion should have been leading this
change instead of resisting it to stay morally relevant IMO.

 S3: Absolutely.  Look at the changes in just the last couple years.  What are
you expecting?  That attitudes like that can change over night?

 C3: Yes it is the law that protects minorities. But the politicians pander to
public sentiment so opinions have to change first. I think there are both
differences and parallels in all civil rights movements. Transgender will be
next.

 S3: Okay, I'm sure the changes will occur across the board.  And it appears to
me that public sentitment is changing either because fewer people are
religious, or maybe because they are gaining more spiritual maturity because of
other factors.

 C3: I thought religion was supposed to me more of a force of good in the
world. That is their own PR.

 S3: I've not known religions to be on the forefront of change, in general.
They may be a "lagging indicator"

 C3: Or maybe moderate believers should demand that their religion doesn't
oppress people unfairly?

 S3: Sort of happening, don't you think?

 C3:  It isn't just gay people who have a problem with these draconian ideas.
The problem with religion is that they claim a special knowledge of the will of
God so they cannot change concerning this kind of established doctrine. That is
why I speak out against the special status of religious beliefs. They, unlike
all other human ideas, demand to be above challenge because of their beliefs in
their special knowledge. This is a medieval mindset.

 S3:  Okay, I guess they will either change, or become irrelevant.  It seems to
me, religious beliefs have been in decline since the reformation.  Change takes
time. What can you say, or do?  Bash people over the head?  Kill them?  You
seem pretty impatient.  We know what that has led to, right?

 C3: I am not sure what you are claiming here. We all deal with emotional
difficulties and people who are oppressed do have outside pressures.

 I know plenty of gay people who are as much models of mental health as the
rest of us. I can't draw any conclusions there.

 S3: I would say we all do.

 C3: But the effect of living in a society where he people who claim to speak
for God say you have an evil orientation cannot be dismissed as not being a
huge influence on them.

 S3:  Yea, that would be a problem.  Looks like things are getting better in
that regard, I would say.  Wouldn't you?

 C3: If moderates would speak out against the injustices in their religion
instead of defending the religion across the board it might have an influence.
Or perhaps you should do what you suggested for gay people, say that this
belief system does not match your own and move on. I was a Catholic too growing
up. The doctrine is clear. If you don't buy the teaching, all of it, you are
living in mortal sin. There is nothing in the marriage agreement that requires
total belief. In Catholicism there is.

 S3: Curtis, why don't you speak to some Catholic believers now, and ask them
if they subscribe to all the tenants to which you think they subscribe.  I
don't think your picture matches the reality of the situation.  I can cite my
own wife as an example.

C3: Are you aware that the phrase gay agenda is used more commonly in defense
of homophobia? I accept that this was not your meaning but you used the buzz
word for a particular POV on gay culture.

 S3: Then thank you for correcting me.  I suspected I was using the wrong term
when I first wrote it.

 C3: There has been no movement in this direction by the Catholic church among
others. Zero. The doctrine remains anti gay. Some people object to that. Me
included.

 S3: Then, what I've been reading on the internet, and a new direction
indicated by this new Pope, must be false, and all the consternation it is
causing in the Vatican, must not be the case.

 S3: But, if the State does not recognize that you want to leave your assets to
your partner, then there are no other options.  And I think society recognizes
this, and therefore, as a matter of fairness, they support of changing of the
laws to recognize this.

C3: I am not "insisting" what would that even mean with regard other people's
I am speaking out against what they believe because it is oppressive and
morally repugnant to my modern sensibilities.

What other human idea gets this kind of defense? Isn't it right to challenge
ideas we find morally despicable? I do want people who oppress others to
change. They will not do it, but it is still right for me to speak up against
that behavior. You and I would agree with this stance in every other area of
area of wrong thinking wouldn't we? Would we have this attitude about any other
injustice? Do you think that black people would be where they are today with
civil rights if we had this attitude back in the 60's?

We all pick our battles. You are welcome to pick yours. But this idea that I
shouldn't want them to change their ideas is part of the problem. You don't
even agree with them, but you still provide cover for this way of thinking and
instinctively push back on my criticism. That is unique to religious ideas.

 S3:  How else will change take place, if you don't speak up for it?  But, are
you going to accomplish it by speaking out about it, or killing people who
don't go along with it.  I mean, change, by peaceable means, takes time. That's
what I would say.

 C3: I am comparing the mindset of moderates who give cover to bad ideas in
religion. That is what is the same in both religions. You are attempting to
shift the focus to the results of that cover where there are obvious
differences. Unless you are a gay person being dragged behind a pick up truck
because the driver believes in his heart that "God hates fags. and his religion
backs this idea" For that person, the similarities dominate.

 S3: Do I have this right?  You are using an extreme example as some sort of
standard for what people should not do?  I must be getting mentally tired at
this point.

 It is not laws that guarantee that society will be progressive, or fair.  They
are needed, are vitally important, of course.  But it is the sense of fairness
and goodwill of a society in general that is the best and final guarantor.

 Agitate for change, of course. But give people a chance to see there is a
better way.  Don't condemn them or judge them too harshly.  And don't paint
anyone who is undecided by the morality of a gay lifestyle as one who would
condone, what you use an example above.

The concept of shads of grey is useful in many contexts. Civil rights is not
one of them. In the ideas that support civil rights the problem with people who
claim to speak on behalf of what God wants is clear. I am speaking up for
humans to realized that no one speaks for God even if they want to believe
there is one. That is one of humanities worst ideas.

And moderate Muslims do the same thing concerning the explicit teaching of
violent jihad in their scriptures. And when they are called out on these views
they attack the person criticizing them as being a religious bigot. Cuz, awe
shucks, most Muslims don't really believe that we should kill infidels. Its is
just that God says we should in our most holy of holy books that God or his
messenger revealed to us.

I find that POV icky.

"3. All sexual acts between persons of the same gender are intrinsically evil
and always objective mortal sins.
 4. Sins are acts involving the intellect (knowing) and the will (choosing). An
orientation is not, in and of itself, an act or a sin.
 5. The homosexual orientation itself is intrinsically evil, but is not itself
a sin.
 6. Since the homosexual orientation is intrinsically evil, any and all acts,
whether sexual or not, by which a human person knowingly chooses to move
toward, cooperate with, reinforce, or act upon, a homosexual orientation is
itself a sin, either venial or mortal.
 7. All human persons are children of God. No human person is intrinsically
evil, even if he or she has an intrinsically evil sexual orientation.
 8. All human persons inherently deserve just and merciful treatment.
 9. The promotion and spread of homosexuality is offensive to God and is
gravely harmful to families, the Church, and society in general.
 10. Society has the right and the duty to make laws which discourage sinful
acts that cause serious harm to society.

The reason gay rights are advancing is because religion is waning. In every
country where religion has a strong voice in government, gay people are
oppressed. In countries where religion has a weak voice, gay people are treated
like other human beings. This was my point which as not only not a cheap shot,
I went easy on them.

Now lets talk about how religious people who believe that their God book is
absolute truth have effectively shut down abortions clinics around the country
by enacting local laws making it impossible for them to operate, effectively
reversing Roe V Wade in some areas because of religious beliefs...

 S: What you say is true, but there are plenty of non religious people who find
abortion to be something very undesirable.  I find it so, but neither am I
ready to oppose what is the law of the land.

 I am not sure equating opposition to abortion as strictly a religious issue
accurately portrays it.

 Does a person really have a good claim that the experience of unity
consciousness is fundamentally different from being saved for example?

 No. But believing oneself "saved" or experiencing "unity consciousness" are
very different from our everyday experiences which lead some to resign
themselves to accepting they are nothing more than a jumped-up simian.

C: I am not sure what lines you  are drawing here. Again, my point was aimed at
the charge that atheists objections to theism are intellectually seriousness.
The issues concerning the reliability of subjective knowledge is a profound one
and I appreciate your recognizing the issues with it.

As far as our relationship to simians, we left that group 50 million years ago.
We still share most of our genes with them. But the differences in our
development are also profound in the last 2 percent or less that we deviate
from them. I m very pro human and proud to be a member of the club. Our
intellectual and artistic gifts are unmatched on the planet. But that doesn't
mean that we have the ability to know everything about how reality functions or
that we can live after we die any better than chimps can. We obviously have a
self reflective quality that you and I appreciate. So I am not resigned to
anything concerning my connection to other primates on the planet. I am a sad
that we are completely wiping out their cultures and eating them!

So what other distinctions are you referring to? Perhaps we would find
different lines there.

 Is darshan from their master different from what people experienced around Sun
Young Moon? How do they know? How, even in principle, can someone claim to make
such distinctions?

 "By their fruits ye shall know them." (Matthew 7: 20)

C: Then Mao is the greatest person in history because by the numbers he was
judged by his countrymen as having the most divine fruit.

Judging fruits is subjective. That was my point. And it was next on my list of
objections that are not simply dismissed with a catch phrase from the Bible. My
points were aimed at Bentley but thanks for keeping it going. He is wrong about
atheists objections to religious beliefs. They are not glib, superficial or
stupid. Whether or not they are delivered in a shrill manor has no bearing on
the content. I believe that his objections had all the qualities he tried to
pawn off on atheists. Your responses were way more thoughtful.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <curtisdeltablues@...> wrote :

Dr. David Bentley Hart criticizes the new atheist movement.  He calls their
arguments to be shrill, shallow, glib and stupid. <snip>

 C: Notice that none of those qualities actually address the content of the
atheist objections to the claims of theists. It is a "you are a poopy pants"
based argument.

There is nothing shallow or glib about the epistemological objections to people
claiming to know things about the nature of the universe that have poor
supporting reasons. Here are a few atheist objections to theist claims:

Why do you consider one book of human literature to be different in its source
than others so that they are considered "scripture?" I get it that you may not
feel this way about any book, but most theists do. Their reasons for assuming
that their scripture should be taken more seriously than other literature are
not solid. They do no KNOW that God had a hand in any human book.

How do people distinguish the epistemological solidity of subjective
experiences well enough to separate their reasons for believing in their own
but to deny others? Does a person really have a good claim that the experience
of unity consciousness is fundamentally different from being saved for example?
Is darshon from their master different from what people experienced around Sun
Young Moon? How do they know? How, even in principle, can someone claim to make
such distinctions?

These and many other questions lie at the root of atheist thought.They are not
silenced or answered by making comments about atheists being too much of one
thing and not enough of another personally.

 Dr. David Bentley Hart criticizes the new atheist movement.  He calls their
arguments to be shrill, shallow, glib and stupid.  However, he recognizes that
Europe has entered the post-Christian era, which he believes, will not
disappear anytime soon.  On the other hand, he states Nietzsche is dead.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYWEYuhiWzE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYWEYuhiWzE