There nothing negative in "Robes of Silk" - the author was in love with the
Maharishi and he may or may bt, have been in love with Judith. It's a love
story - you are supposed to read the book BEFORE you post your comments. LoL!

 "How many TB TMers have actually read 'Robes Of Silk, Feet Of Clay?' Show of
hands. See? Almost no one."

 I remember the first time I came across a negative opinion of Marshy and TM
and remember being really shocked.

Non sequitur.

Without realising it I'd built it up a lot more in my mind than was really
healthy and assumed that the One True Path was indeed just that. The idea that
a journalist I respected could describe Marshy so unpleasantly wasn't something
I'd considered.

Non sequitur.

How could my choice be in error?

Cognitive dissonance - holding two opposing ideas, both at the same time.

 It took a while to talk myself back up into it. I think at the time I was a
fledgling and was worried about being knocked out of my tree when I'd convinced
myself it was going to grow me all the way to infinity. It's lucky we didn't
have the interweb in those days as by the time I'd discovered the enlightened
pages of FFL I'd already reasoned myself out of the stupidity of True
Believerism. And that was with the help of the TMO itself with its oddball
beliefs and behaviour. The trick is to ask difficult questions, if a teacher
can't answer them he doesn't deserve to be your teacher. Ironically I got that
little gem from Marshy!

Non sequitur.

 What's needed is a realistic balance, take what you need and leave the rest. I
think Travolta would have a hard time disconnecting himself from the Co$ after
all these years. In fact, just thinking about it gives me great respect for
Paul Haggis and the others in "Going Clear", to be that into something so
powerfully controlling and get out, all the while knowing they aint gonna be
nice about it takes real guts.

Non sequitur.

 Plus, don't forget that several TMers over the years have reported that the
"official" policy about Fairfield Life they told by TMO representatives is that
they shouldn't be looking at something like that because it's "negative" and
would lower their state of consciousness. That's what a Scientologist would be
told about reading or watching anything critical of the Co$.

 Now in this case, given the number of times Travolta has been accused of
groping guys he hired to give him a massage, I think we can assume that he is
in on the whole coverup, and is a *wlling* blackmail victim because the Church
coverup enables him to stay in the closet. *His* fame and livelihood depend on
the Co$ keeping his secrets, too. So effectively by saying he's never seen the
documentary, he avoids ever having to lie on the record about its claims.

 This is essentially the same thing that the Co$ is doing on a larger scale --
they have scrupulously avoided dealing with ANY of the claims made in the
documentary, focusing all their efforts on demonizing the people who made those
claims. That is not just Scientology policy -- right out of their dogma, as
written by LRon -- it's even legally sound because by not lying about the
claims, they don't run the risk of being found guilty of perjury in addition to
being found guilty of the crimes in the claims themselves.

 This is all Cult 101, guys. Do your homework...