      From: "Xenophaneros Anartaxius anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]"
<FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 10:29 PM
 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] ~~~~~~~~~~ about TMO friendship ~~~~~~~~~~~

    I was talking to a well-placed governor a few years ago, and the concern he
expressed was in the old days, people just wanted to hang out around Maharishi,
but now of course that is impossible, and people have a different attitude
toward both learning and going on courses because the draw of an alleged
'master' is nowhere in sight. Also even getting existing practitioners on
courses needs some new impetus because it has to be practical, convenient and
affordable for them to go on courses. A lot of facilities have been shut down,
and renting places can be expensive locally. For example, opening a TM center
these days requires it face a certain direction, and finding real estate that
meets just this simple requirement is rather difficult. Also as far as
knowledge, there is nothing really new in the offerings, though there seem to
be some techniques His Appointed Royalness Tony is giving out to long time
teachers on special courses. There are these 'Experience of Self' courses at
MUM, but everybody experiences this every day anyway, even if they do not
realise it. It is basically the same old thing with new dressing. TM's real
problem is it is heavily invested in beginning a spiritual trek, but does not
have the chops to effectively take it to completion which is why so many people
drift off to other teachings or give up. I hear it is difficult getting new
teachers because M is not there, they are very concerned about it as a career,
how they will support themselves etc., the enthusiasm about being around M is
not the driving factor any more, so a realistic business model as a profession
looms in people's mind now.
Basically any spiritual philosophy has certain ideas that are discussed and
certain techniques that are practised and over time something happens or does
not. Standing out from the crowd with this kind of thing seems to be getting
more difficult as more or less generic versions of techniques are proffered in
the marketplace. The main problem as I see it is the TM organisation is boxed
in with a set of specific beliefs and guidelines that actively prevent them
from looking at more possibilities. The tithing/donation model which works for
religions who have been able to brainwash their flock is more difficult for TM
because it has to pretend it has no religious associations, but the DLF is
basically working on this model, and just how that will pan out when he goes is
unknown. If TM manages to maintain some respectable amount of initiations,
there will always be a few celebrities that will fall into the net, but whether
the glow around them is enough is another matter. TM has not managed to get
really established as a major brand on its own; so far it seems to have always
depended on some kind of exposure based on the celebrity status of someone,
like Maharishi, Merv Griffin, The Beach Boys, Beatles, etc., which is not a
very stable model, particularly because celebrities' foibles are far more
likely to become public and screw the image being created (recall Mr Collins
recently). Also, as a person practices a technique, over time, the initial
enthusiasm a person has is likely to diminish over time. For example, recently
the Beatles and Clint Eastwood, while they have lent some support to the DLF
projects, they do not appear to be particularly enthusiastic about it.
Celebrities often do this if it does not involve a lot of time and energy if
the project seems reasonable. But these people can't offer what the people
seeking relief from their problems need, they are just window dressing.