I am illiterate as regards modern technology (and sneakily proud of the fact -
the way your granny affected ignorance of the Beatles!).

 Can someone answer two simple questions I have?

 Periodically, I get messages which instruct me not to turn off my laptop as
Windows is "installing updates". So far, so simple. My query is: given that
I've now had a significant, large number of updates on my current laptop, does
this mean that if I were to buy a brand-new laptop I'd have to go through the
same rigmarole of installing those very same updates all over again - or does
the uploader up there in Cloud cuckooland simply update one kick-arse
mega-program that includes all the revisions since Windows 7 (or what-have-you)
was originally installed on the computer I'm buying?

 The other question I have is this: when I get updates for other programs (Java
say) which I download to my Download folder (duh!) and I then run the download
program to get the update up and running, can I then delete the original
downloaded file sitting in my Download folder as it is no longer needed - or
would that have catastrophic consequences?

 Is that at all clear? Let me know if you need clarification!

 Thanks in advance.