> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"

> > > ********
> > >
> > > Your mastery of context could be slipping. Cult
> > > members generally are in a relationship in which
> > > the leader or guru is in the parental role, and
> > > usually a perverted parental role at that.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you think this has to do with
> > what I've been saying, L.B., or why you think my
> > "mastery of context" could be slipping.  Care to
> > elaborate?
> >
> > As I've already indicated, I have no problem with
> > the concept of the leader/guru taking a parental
> > role.  That was never what I objected to.
> >
> > Perhaps you should do a little checking of the
> > context yourself.
> >
> @@@@@@@@
>
> Here is the context:

> True enough, except that the "incest" we have been discussing in
> this thread is the variety known as "spiritual incest" (a term
> which you have argued against previously in this thread, if I
> recall correctly).

Right.  That most victims of incest are young children
rather than adults is yet another reason why the term
"spiritual incest" is inappropriate.

> If I may be permitted a small digression: the term "spiritual
> incest" cannot be correctly understood by exactly parsing its
> constituents. It has a special meaning which applies most
> clearly in the cult context. You have argued against its
> application here based on your parsing, including the argument
> quoted above regarding the ages of the victims.

No, actually what I've been arguing is that
borrowing the term "incest" for that phrase acts
as a thought-stopper, invoking the reaction of
horror and disgust people normally have to incest
in a very different kind of situation to which
that kind of reaction may be inappropriate.

It's an example of using emotionally loaded
language to bypass the critical thinking process.

Rather than responding to what you go on to say,
I'll just refer you to the quotes from my
contributions to the alt.m.t discussion I posted
earlier, which address your points directly.

<snip>
> Another small digression: Many people have commented in this forum
> that they think MMY's alleged infractions amount to "no big deal".
> However, for the reasons I have referred to above, such abuses are
> universally condemned in civil society.

As well they should be.

However, I'd suggest that the degree and intensity
of the condemnation should probably *not* be
universal; some instances of such behavior are
distinctly worse than others, so it makes sense to
consider them on a case-by-case basis.

Which is another reason why I object to the "spiritual
incest" phrase.  It tends to evoke the same intensity
of revulsion to *all* such instances, when it may not
be at all appropriate for some of them.

> This is the context in which our discussion is relevant. Your point
> about the ages of the victims applies to "ordinary" incest, not the
> variety we are dealing with here.

Yes, that *was* my point.  The intensity of the
reaction to incest is at least partly a function
of the fact that the victims of incest are
physically and psychologically so vulnerable.

Not that victims of sexual abuse by spiritual
teachers are not also vulnerable, but there are
significant differences in the *nature* of their
vulnerability, among other reasons because they're
typically much older.

Consider the difference in the reaction to a
father having sex with his adult daughter, and
a father having sex with his 12-year-old daughter.
There are common elements, but there are also
marked differences.  The term "spiritual incest"
fuzzes over those differences.

I'd be pleased to continue this discussion with
you if you're so inclined, but again I'd ask that
you read my earlier post so you have a better idea
of what my arguments are without my having to
repeat myself to set you straight on the context.