 Thanks, this posting is really sensitive to some issues and respectfully said.
Though, there are a lot of folks around here who do in fact have [objective]
experience of 'ritam' aka, the 'siddhis-like' in practice or formula otherwise
by Patanjali with cultivated transcendence as MMY brought out. One could feel
sorry for you and others that this was not your experience. “I have given you
the key to the universe and you want an advanced technique?” -MMY May 1977

 Compelled by enough spiritual experience on their own the meditating community
of Fairfield, Iowa is proly not going to go away any time soon. I am going to
copy out some of this posting as summary to add to material of particular
experiences with the culture of the movement being collected by a sub-committee
of the Mental Health Alliance as data-points about people's cultural experience
related to mental health. It is progressing well. With enough data-points one
can see to develop and implement better 'actionable' policy in facilitating
organization to the benefit of individuals and the well-being of the
organization. Metrics count that way in data, -JaiGuruYou!

I'm delighted that is of interest to you. I'm fascinated by the problem of
mental ill health as it's so debilitating when it strikes and undermines your
ability to live your life how you want. A contented experience of our inner
self is fundamental to good living and when that goes wrong in some way it
means your entire life has gone wrong.

 I'm interested in what problems people in the FF meditating community present
to their doctors, whether it's things like symptoms that develop after learning
TM or TMSP, or whether it's that they learned TM to help cope with pre-existing
problems and it didn't work.

 And also the prevalence of certain conditions and whether they match the
distribution of similar conditions in the wider country. For instance, it used
to be that doctors in the UK would get more depressed housewives suffering lack
of self esteem and anxiety about life. Since then there's been greater equality
between sexes and decent career prospects so that doesn't happen so much. These
days the greatest problem doctors are presented with is socially alienated
young men. The suicide rate of men under 30 in the UK is horrifically high.
Another thing I'm interested in is whether a community that is based on shared
beliefs and a common goal has fewer cases of depression caused by the same
feelings of social isolation? But that's more a sociological question and
probably not within the scope of what you are doing.

 One of the things I think will have to look closely at is the TM model of
stress and stress release. I think that it's wildly inaccurate and isn't even a
simplified version of what does happen. The trouble I'm sure you have is there
are going to be a lot of people in the TMO who learned TM to self-prescribe a
hopeful cure for things that have plagued them their whole lives. A reason it
falls down is that the sort of mental process that causes, say, anxiety attacks
isn't a "stress" it isn't something that can be meditated away using Marshy's
model of "stress" getting trapped in the nervous system and being simply
released by deep relaxation.

 There are many causes of anxiety states but as an example; I knew a purusha
guy who learned TM because he was extremely shy with girls - to the point of
panic attacks when alone in a room with one. He thought, and I doubt he was
alone, that if he spent a few years in this deepest state this "stress" would
get released and his anxiety would normalise. It didn't of course, because
anxiety like his isn't a "stress" even thought it is stressful. Problems like
his are caused by picking up signals in childhood that turn out not to be
useful when we grow up. Maybe his parents were embarrassed about sex and he
picked up on it and unconsciously saw it as something to feel guilty about.
Upon reaching his teenage years he would be overcome by conflicting desires and
the learned responses that his brain tells him are correct because that is the
only thing it knows to do, but actually they cause tremendous fear.

 There are plenty of people who tell you they know how to deal with things like
this but the only real way I've come across is by understanding the purely
physical process of an anxiety attack and then gradually confronting the thing
that triggers the problem. This works because when it's making you anxious your
brain is trying to help you by repeating the response it learned to provided
last time. It does this with everything you learn just to stop you having to
concentrate when driving a car for instance. So when you start a process of
retraining this system you learn that all you've got is some unhelpful
programming, the brain doesn't discriminate between what is good and bad for
you it's concern is just to act in the way it was taught. It doesn't learn to
do something different just because you don't like the results of what it has
picked up throughout your life. In fact, anxiety states get worse the longer
they go unchallenged because another thing the brain does is remember what was
happening last time you were stressed and when that environment is recognised
again it makes you anxious again and simply because it tries to recreate what
state you were in last time without realising that you weren't happy with it.

 I'm just scratching the surface of anxiety and how and why it develops here,
it's a fascinating and entirely natural process that we all have as part of our
evolution but it just gets carried away sometimes and can invade your entire
life if you don't learn how to deal with it. BTW This model of personality
development covers a lot of seemingly different conditions too.

 There are many different components to our conscious experience and most of
them are unconscious and working away without us being aware of them, and they
all work brilliantly but only with what information they are provided with. The
brain doesn't see good or bad when it learns is probably the best point to
think about, some things just aren't useful to us.

 This piece is a bit rushed as I'm trying to encapsulate a lot into a readable
space but will expand on things if you like and if you think they don't make
enough sense. I suspect the first time you come across this way of looking at
the brain it may seem like the most unlikely nonsense but it does work as
testable model and as a starting point for finding a cure for a lot of problems.

 Note I never say "mind" as I'm not even remotely convinced the mind exists as
a separate thing, we are machines and mental ill health is the proof of this,
it's symptoms are inescapable and reliable and even predictable given a set of
circumstances. I see a huge gulf between the TM model and this modern mental
health understanding. But can TM help at all in these anxiety state situations?
It depends on the severity of the symptoms and how long they have been present.
One way it's good is in how it breaks a cycle of thinking or takes you out of
your social circle into a different scene and the change in pressure when apart
from trigger events can give you breathing space. Some few people are
transformed by TM - I've known a couple myself - but most aren't, most get a
soothing effect for a while and a reduction in symptom severity but how long
does it last? I could make a case that it's a form of tranquiliser in that it
reduces anxiety symptoms and gives us enough extra freedom to make better
decisions with the debilitating effects of adrenalin which is the main problem
these days. Whether it's enough depends on how afflicted you are, fr some yes,
others no.

 Interestingly, if you use TM to cope with anxiety it can make you feel worse
because it never quite gets to the bottom of it and you get to a loop of going
on endless courses hoping for the final cure but it never comes, which is
depressing. I know people like this. When I worked at the academy I got to know
a lot of people wel and discussed problems like this. It was one of the things
that made me wonder whether we are on the right track.

 I get a lot of e-mails from the TMO featuring some micro-celeb with a quote
about how amazing it is and how it solves all their problems and gives them
energy, all the things I used to say when I started but I don't feel that way
any more. I wonder how many of them will be like me or like the majority that
quit when it becomes obvious they aren't getting what was advertised on the
tin? Or remain cheerleaders like David Lynch and you perhaps?

 I'd like to see data on how many drop out of FF or the TMSP generally but I
remember that Marshy would permit research into anything "negative". But data
is vital whether it's confirms what you want it to or not, if you want to
understand something that is. Good to see that's changed, best of luck with it.

 Ooops, that turned into a bit of an essay but it's still just the tip of a
fascinating iceberg. I hope any of this waffle makes some sort of sense to you,
it might just be too new a way of looking at things at first glance. I can
expand on it if you find it of interest.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <salyavin808 writing in pink/red?:> wrote :

 Re "I did it [TMSP] religiously for 10 years though and was never happier than
when I quit.":

 Well no one could claim you didn't give it a fair shot.

 Yes indeed. The first problem with quitting is that once you've brought the
dream that meditating leads to enlightenment then doing less meditation means
you must get there slower right? Beliefs like that sink in deep and it can take
a while to get to the bottom of where the guilt comes from but the TMO is
steeped in it. It's only when you live among them that the majority worldview
takes hold.

 How we learn things is a funny process, it isn't just a case of an idea coming
in and we see the superior wisdom of it, there's a deliberation process where
we have to convince ourselves that the new idea is more correct than our
previous mental defaults. To do this usually we have to fall back on previous
assessment strategies and work out whether we have found a better way of seeing
things. It's a lot of work.  In a basically closed group it's easier because
other people around you having strong opinions helps a process of acceptance
just to fit in or for the sake of a quiet life and we override some of our
usual intellectual approach.

 Having a new and profound experience to explain makes this process even easier
because of the ready packaged set of profound sounding beliefs with all sorts
of triggers for quality like them being "old" or "eastern" and to accept that
as superior you have to have accepted the idea that ancient man had a better
understanding of him self and the world that we've lost in our hurried and
confusing modern world. It all feeds off each other.

 I'm not just trying to excuse myself for doing something for so long that
wasn't doing me any good, it's just that I'd lost the way of self-assessment
that I'd usually apply. This stuff is powerful, a lot of people never get out
of the beliefs they've adopted. Some will insist that they've still got the
superior worldview and that I'm a quitter and any criticism of them or the
organisation that inadvertently brainwashed us all marks me as an "apostate".

 Anyway, after 10 years of this superior spiritual development I was stressed,
withdrawn and in need of psychological help. But interestingly I had no idea
about any of that and assumed I was on the "fast track to enlightenment" and
didn't even blame "unstressing" as I hadn't realised my life had changed for
the worst. Kiddology is another powerful force that's tricky to become aware of.

 One thing I've often wondered about the TM program is how TM teachers or
"checkers" could be really sure that their pupils were doing the whole thing
right. I recall a story of MMY once realising that a high-ranking member of the
TMO and close associate hadn't been meditating correctly and giggling about it.

 Well, it's supposed to be really easy. The thing you have to watch is not
interfering with it by getting frustrated at all the thoughts or lack of clear
experience. If you feel slightly better after than you did before they consider
it a success.

 But with the "flying" sidhi program it's different: either you are hopping or
you aren't. Do those who fail to take off suffer humiliating feelings of  being
losers and second-class citizens of the Age of Enlightenment?

 Oh yes. The people on my "flying" course who didn't take off were bitterly
frustrated about it and saw themselves as failures. One girl I knew quit the
whole thing in disgust and really held it against us that we'd got it. Still
does actually. But I was one of the last to get it so I know how she felt. I
would have felt most pissed off if it hadn't worked. All rather quaint to look
back on.

 It was good though, the first time you hop about,  and it's powerful, it's
like finding the part of the brain that usually transcends was only going part
of the way and suddenly it seems to detach itself completely and you see your
body and mundane thoughts as a totally separate thing, it's like a better
glimpse of infinity than the ones that convinced you before that you were
seeing infinity. That should teach you something about the physical nature of
the psychological components of the mind.

 I still think the process of developing that inner eye will have benefits for
consciousness research. Basic reductionism will work here in the sense that
taking something apart gives you a better idea of how it works that you can't
see usually... I just don't think it will reveal what the TM beliefs as still
championed by Kings Tony and Hagelin claim it will.

 Re "No.  However the real purpose of many of the yoga asanas is to prepare one
to sit in either half-lotus or full lotus.":

 Thanks. But don't you have to adopt full- or half-lotus to do the "hopping"
sidhi?

 And if a TM teacher hadn't taken the sidhi courses wouldn't he/she be sending
out a message to newbies that those advanced courses aren't such a big deal?

 There used to be a few that didn't do the TMSP, some for religious reasons!
But for a long time it's been a requirement that TM teachers have to do the
TMSP. And they they don't get the recertification that is required for them to
be able to teach "legally" now too.

 I never heard it said that a bad message was the reason but if the question
arose it would be a difficult one to answer as meditators get this idea that
it's some amazing mystery that gets revealed to you and that the "sidha's" are
worthy of their higher status. It would be a poor show if a teacher didn't buy
into the whole package I suspect.

 I can remember having TMSP described to me and wanting it desperately but
wondering if I could cope with all that powerful programme! I can also remember
the disappointment when I learned what it was all about. I did it religiously
for 10 years though and was never happier than when I quit.

 On 07/06/2015 04:32 PM, s3raphita@... mailto:s3raphita@... [FairfieldLife]