Don't know how Subud was actually portrayed by someone back then on courses to
M. However there seems a spectrum of concern from spirit-ism as 'possession'
and to 'channeling', to an earnest TM [spiritual] interest in cultivating ritam
bhara pragya readings of pakritis of nature. Where is Nablusoss1008 when we
need his specialized discernment on this subject here? By description, Subud it
seems starts with a quieting or transcending meditation and then various kriyas
can start up. That evidently is not uncommon in meditative practices.  Bhairitu
offers, Possession is not part of TM or most any other form of meditation.  It
is a part of other paths rituals not limited to Subud.  In tantra we have ways
of removing possession. Emptybill writes: Yep, well said. Spirit possession is
not related to the practice of TM or any form of yoga - whether described by
Patanjali or codified in the Agamas and Tantras of Vaishnavas, Shaivas or
Shaktas. MMY said Subud is a form of spirit possession.
Whether it is an actual spirit-entity or an amorphic spirit energy, it is still
a form of mind-body discordance that cedes control of the nervous system. That
alone marked Subud as verboten to MMY.
I heard him say so in one of my TTC's - maybe at Humboldt State U. in Arcata,
Calif. during the summer of 1971 or perhaps Fiuggi in the spring of 1972.
s3raphita offers, Re "a form of mind-body discordance that cedes control of the
nervous system": Isn't that TM also?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raph...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 I can't help you but there are parallels between Subud and TM I suspect.
 From Wiki: In the practice of the [Latihan] exercise, members are typically
advised to follow 'what arises from within', not expecting anything in advance.
One is recommended not to focus on any image or recite any mantra, nor to mix
the exercise with other activities like meditation or use of drugs, but simply
to intend to surrender to the Divine. During the exercise, practitioners may
find that, in terms of physical and emotional expression, they involuntarily
move, make sounds, walk around, dance, jump, skip, laugh, cry or whatever. The
experience varies greatly for different people, but the practitioner is always
wholly conscious throughout and free to stop the exercise at any time.

 So there's a similar focus on effortlessly going with the flow but whereas TM
is purely "mental", Subud is "physical". It sounds to me that the two practices
could complement each other.

 A word of warning: The method was later adopted by Osho (Bhagwan Shree
Rajneesh)!

 Does anybody who was made an initiator remember what Maharishi said about the
practice of *Subud*? All I can remember was that anyone seeking initiation who
practiced it was to stop at least six months before we could initiate them.

  • [FairfieldLife] for teach... Mike Dixon mdixon.6...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • [FairfieldLife] Re: ... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • [FairfieldLife] ... dhamiltony...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [FairfieldLi... dhamiltony...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]