 I would never consider myself an expert, at least among those who really are.
You are right, raptors are not *toys* or pets. There are strategies for
training them. Most important, is gaining their trust. They have to trust that
you will do them no harm and then, that you are a good provider.<I have two
Peregrine falcons. The male was captive bred as were his parents for so many
generations. He is a sweet little *gentleman* and probably depends on me more
than he really needs to. Then I also have a female that was caught, by permit
in 2013. Born wild on the tundra and to this day has that wild streak running
through her. You can see it in her eyes.< Seventy percent of young falcons
never survive there first year and forty percent die in their second year. I
think my wild one probably would have been one of those first year casualties.
She was thin when I caught her and actually chased my jeep down the beach as if
to say "feed me and take me home with you!" Every time a fly her, from October
through March, nearly every day, She has the opportunity to leave but she comes
back faithfully when I call her. I think she knows a good deal when she has it.
However, the day may come that she wants to strike out on her own again. If
you're interested google on youtube *flying a passage Peregrine falcon in South
Carolina*. That's not me but the guy is flying one that looks and flies just
like mine. Nice video.

 I'll take a look for sure. There is a quote I saw today that I like and
although it speaks about horses it could also apply to many other animals who
we choose to share our lives with. But, with predatory animals or those big
enough to hurt you or wild enough to want to this is an apt quote:

 "You can never rely on a horse that is educated by fear. There will always be
something that he fears more than you. But, when he trusts you, he will ask you
what to do when he is afraid."

 Most animals have an aspect of wildness within them which is part of what
makes them so nice to be around.