--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shukra69" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
snip>

> > Does it ever strike you as odd that
> > your anger doesn't abate even after an apology by the
> > guilty party
> There is a number of legends about the Rishi Durvas like this.

Power of True Devotion

(from the discourses of Sri Ganapathi Sachchidananda Swamiji)

A man generally becomes egoistic due to education, wealth and indiscriminate
spiritual
knowledge. But he forgets that his wealth and erudition are god given. He
thinks that
these are obtained by self-effort alone and nobody has anything to do with it.
Such a
manÕs fate is like the Sun, who rises in all his glory at dawn and reaches the
zenith at noon
and as evening falls, disappears. Similarly, egoistic education, wealth and
indiscriminate
knowledge are like the glory of sunrise. As time passes, they are bound to
disappear. You
should give up ego and pride when you praise the greatness of GodÕs superiority.

It is the duty of the wealthy to use their wealth to help those who are in real
need. They
should serve as a protective force to the society, especially for the poor and
the needy.
There lived a poor fellow opposite to a rich manÕs house. The poor fellow used
to give
alms to the beggars and thus everyone liked him and despised the rich man
because no
one had seen him giving alms to beggars. One day the poor man stopped giving
alms and
all of a sudden, the beggars started scoffing at him. Later people came to know
that the
alms actually came form the rich man who wanted his charitable nature to remain
unnoticed. He was doing it anonymously, not caring for name or fame.

A man of charitable nature is always charitable. His quality is inborn. There
is no need to
teach him it is not easy to change the basic nature of man. A person, who is
basically
wicked, remains so. It is very difficult to transform him. A neem fruit can not
be made
sweet by pouring honey at the root of the tree. True devotion to the Almighty
alone is the
means to self- evolution. This itself is Sadhana. Such devotion prevents you
from
unrighteous behaviour and mitigates suffering. Even if a devotee develops
pride, the
Almighty will correct him at an appropriate time by directing him to a Sadguru.

The story of Ambarisha glorifies the power of devotion to the Almighty.
Ambarisha was a
true devotee of Lord Vishnu and was able to see the Lord in his heart every
moment.

The Lord says in the Bhagavad-Gita, "there is nothing whatsoever which is
higher than me.
I am the taste in water. I am light in the moon and the sun. I am the syllable
OM in the
Vedas. I am the sound in Ether and humanity in human beings. I am the pure
fragrance in
the earth and brightness in the fire. I am the life of all existences. I am the
intelligence of
the intelligent. I am the splendour of the splendid and I support the entire
world with a
single fraction of my splendour." Therefore, the entire world is only a
fraction of His and
not the whole.

Ambarisha knew this very well. He held the sacred scripture in high esteem and
followed
their instructions implicitly. He performed great Yagas and acquired great
merit by virtue
of which, he could travel to different Lokas. Once, he met Sumedha, an
uncharitable and
unqualified person in Swarga (heaven). Ambarisha asked Indra, the lord of
heaven as to
how Sumedha could be admitted in to heaven when he had not undertaken great
meritorious acts such as Tapas, Yajna, Satsang, Charities etc.
Indra explained that Sumedha had performed such acts, which protected the
country and
the people and whatever he did, was with total purity of mind. He had
discharged all his
social obligations in an unselfish manner. Ambarisha was impressed by IndraÕs
answer.

Being a very religious person, Ambarisha performed intense Tapas and sought a
very
strange boon from Lord Vishnu. He begged Lord Vishnu to bless him with a
progeny who
would be fortunate enough to marry Lord Vishnu Himself! ÔSo be itÕ said Lord
Vishnu.

One day, when Ambarisha was performing Ekadashi Vrata (a ritual performed on
the
eleventh day of each fortnight when the person has to fast and chant the names
of Lord
Vishnu), Lord Vishnu thought of testing his devotion. He wanted to disturb his
Vrata. When
the Vrata was nearing completion, Sage Durvasa (famous for short temper) came
to his
palace to accept the hospitality of the king.
Durvasa said that he would first have a dip in the river before accepting the
hospitality.
Ambarisha waited and waited but Durvasa did not return for a long time. As the
sacred
moment was slipping away, he drank Tulsi water after offering it to Lord
Vishnu. Soon
after that, Durvasa arrived, cursing Ambarisha for insulting him by drinking
water before
feeding the guest. He tried to create more obstacles to Ambarisha. But
AmbarishaÕs
devotion and dedication were so pure and strong that he was not at all
disturbed by
DurvasaÕs curse. It had no effect on Ambarisha. Not only that, he made Durvasa
to give up
bad temper. True devotion can do wonders.

http://www.dattapeetham.com/india/bhaktimala/june99/devotionjune99.html

In Datta Seva

Hanuman

http://us.click.yahoo.com/u8TY5A/tzNLAA/yQLSAA/JjtolB/TM