Here is the transcript of what he said.  It is not out of the realm of
possibility that he was thinking simultaneously of the two topics in that one
sentence precedes/follows another.  The word "punishment" could just have
easily been construed as "consequence"...as in "I don't want them to suffer the
consequence of a baby or an STD at the age of 16."

 "When it comes specifically to HIV/AIDS, the most important prevention is
education, which should include -- which should include abstinence education
and teaching the children -- teaching children, you know, that sex is not
something casual. But it should also include -- it should also include other,
you know, information about contraception because, look, I've got two
daughters. 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all
about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished
with a baby. I don't want them punished with an STD at the age of 16. You know,
so it doesn't make sense to not give them information."

 Consider expanding your definition of "health/life" of the mother....

 Right, I got the context right. He was talking about  contraception at that
point. And my point earlier is, that Abortion is used primarily as a means of
birth control, not to protect the health/life of the mother. The latter is used
primarily to justify the former. The idea of *punishment* corroborates that.
Almost no one would deny a woman an abortion if her life were threatened by the
pregnancy.