> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 2005, at 4:51 PM, L B Shriver wrote:
> >
> > > I have found it interesting that at MSAE Maharishi doesn't
> > > allow 2nd language acquisition at the younger age (he may make
> > > an exception for Sanskrit) because he claims that for the
> > > youngster to speak something other than the "mother tongue"
> > > creates some subtle kind of confusion—even though, as you note,
> > > it is the ideal time for language acquistion.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have more precise information on this?
> >
> > I asked my wife who has a masters in Infant development. Do it
> > BEFORE elementary school.
> >
> > Would you trust *your* children to Mahesh's theories?
>
> Would you trust rumors that may not ahve any basis in fact in order
> to pass judgement on someone?

Even if it's true as stated by LBS, to decide not to
trust one's children to MMY because his "theories" are
not the same as those of someone who has a master's in
infant development is a knee-jerk, thoughtless
conclusion.

The "subtle confusion" LBS refers to isn't necessarily
in conflict with the principle that the younger the
better in terms of second-language acquisition.  The
purported confusion may be on an entirely different
level than that of facility in a second language.

It isn't impossible that the optimal situation, in
MMY's view, is a sort of trade-off between acquiring
second-language facility and avoiding the subtle
confusion.  In other words, an older child may still
be able to learn a second language well enough to
become reasonably fluent in it at a point when learning
it may no longer cause the subtle confusion.

Or maybe not.  But obviously we don't know enough, on
the basis of LBS's account, to say either way.

Dying to be thin? Anorexia. Narrated by Julianne Moore.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/abEMxA/sbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM