On this day in 1783, following the signing of the Treaty of Paris, General
George Washington resigns as commander in chief of the Continental Army and
retires to his home at Mount Vernon, Virginia.

 “Happy in the confirmation of our independence and sovereignty, and pleased
with the opportunity afforded the United States of becoming a respectable
nation, I resign with satisfaction the appointment I accepted with diffidence;
a diffidence in my abilities to accomplish so arduous a task; which however was
superseded by a confidence in the rectitude of our cause, the support of the
supreme power of the Union, and the patronage of Heaven."